Downstroke after vibrato or rest?

If you are using DUD alternating pattern on a single string and a vibrato is used on the last note or there is a period of rest, do you start picking again with an upstroke to maintain a DUDU motion or is it ok to use a down stroke (DUD D)?

I doubt anyone can answer that. Most people really have no idea whether they pick up or down. That part of their playing is not thought about - it's like riding a bicycle, you're not conscious of what you do to balance.

I guess that a good teacher could advise but they would need to know the context and see and hear what it was you were actually playing.

• Chad

Jesus dude I just play the guitar. I dont really even think about what my right hand does anymore...

But to answer your question, I for the most part use down strokes with my playing. On occasion, my hand will bounce back from a downstroke and do a pretty powerful upstroke but I will just let it happen when it happens. I dont force it. 

You should be asking your guitar teacher this question, not us. That's what he's there for.