Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 3 weeks ago

Could we be living in a simulation inside of a giant computer and we are just programs by a higher being then us?

• Sean K

Maybe in the future they cured old age and have advanced computing. It could be that you put yourself into the simulation for something to do.

Maybe. In John Wheeler's famous split beam experiment, observation can bring into existence what is being observed. This wouldn't be possible if we are not living in a simulation.

• P

As we just begin to understand quantum computing ideas like this could be possible on some level, however it wouldn't likely be anything like any computer we know to exist or be able to imagine.  In fact a device or entity that could house a universe like ours probably wouldn't be considered a "computer" any more than a person could be considered one. 

Best one I have heard of is Lisa Simpson, on the "Treehouse Of Horrors VII" show.  She had a science fair experiment with Bart's tooth in some cola in a margarine tub.  Bart supplied some static electricity to get it going.  Overnight Lisa's tub developed a tiny civilization.  "I've created Lutherans" she exclaimed.  Cracked me up.

yeah but there's no way to know, so it doesn't really change anything either way. so it doesn't make sense to dwell on it.

it is possible but it seems unlikely

No.  There's way too much detail for that.

I don't think we could ever know for sure but this is very fascinating to think about. If this were true it would raise bigger questions too, why are we simulated? are these higher beings similar to us? The world is what we can perceive by our senses right? so I guess.. what would it feel like to have non of the 5 human senses, what would there be left to simulate? Wouldn't this be considered death? Sorry I answered your question with more questions😂 but the answer leaves so much to think about. 

inconclusive,

problem with this theorem (known as "brain in the vat" also older version "shadow on the wall" in philosophy) is that it is predicated upon the audience (you and everyone else observing) being unable to distinguish between real and virtual world. Probably due to conditioning.

Look once you see the Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy II "bird" yapping its beak at you you WILL know for sure that this is indeed a simulation, until than i would recommend assuming it is either reality or hardcore mode with permadeath rules just to avoid doing something too dumb.