Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

Is it rude to ask someone how much money he makes?

I think it depends on the person.  Some people I know are tight lipped, while other brag about what they make.

this has nothing to do with global warming

reported

Is it rude to ask you if you are dickless today?

Of course it's rude.  It's disturbing that you'd even have to ask this question.

• Jerry

A vague "Does that pay well?" or "Does that pay better than your old job?" or "Did you have to take a pay cut?" might be acceptable in some cases, but wanting specifics would be rude. Better to just leave the topic alone than risk offending. You don't really need to know. 

• RP

Generally, yes because people feel their earnings are no one's business but theirs.

Unless you're their accountant, why do you need to know ? I would find that rude yes, 

as at my last job, some hours were paid hourly, others I made more as it provided me

with opportunities to earn tips. My reply would be: Are you gonna do my taxes for free?

Yes, it absolutely is.

In general, it's considered to be bad manners.   But there are some circumstances when it's okay.   For example, if a teenager is trying to find a career path, they might ask that question.   But really it would be better to google it, than to ask someone such a personal question.

Yes incredibly rude. And very disrespectful.