An urgent care doctor wants to put an iv in my arm and do a ct scan on my kidney. Does it hurt, and how long in the iv in the arm?

I'm terrified of needles and dont do well with pain I cant even look at needles without getting nauseous. And also does a total access urgent care know what they are doing with that stuff? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

An IV in your arm doesn't  hurt in the least after it's in place, and the actual placing of the IV needle into your arm is no big deal. It's about the same as the needle stick you feel when you get a shot.

The IV line will remain in your arm for only as long as it takes to complete the CT scan (just a few minutes), and then it'll be removed. The IV line is carrying a contrast dye that will make the inside of your kidney show up clearly on the CT scan.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The IV is most probably contrast to show up your kidneys. The scan takes less than 5 minutes, I've had several.

• 3 weeks ago

The IV would hurt a bit.  The CT scan shouldn't.

• 3 weeks ago

A CT is painless, you probably need the IV because you’re dehydrated.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

They are usually well trained and do this frequently. I am sorry you are ill and scared. I would do what is necessary to get better and wish you the best.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.