Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

How do I get my mother to stop enabling my sister's narcissism?

• Jerry

Setting yourself a goal of getting others to make personal changes is usually setting yourself up for frustration, resentment, and anger. Please consider setting yourself a more attainable goal: you make the personal changes needed to take care of YOU in the context of your sister's being what she is and your mother behaving as she behaves. That is, you probably can't change it, but you can change your own attitudes and behavior in such a way that it's not affecting your happiness in such a negative way. 

I've never been able to get my father to stop telling me he's disappointed that I did ABC with my life instead of XYZ. But I have learned to change the way I think about it. It's not about me letting my father down, but about my father forming unreasonable expectations. 

Stop feeding into the drama and distance yourself from the sister-mother dynamics. 

Step one: get Mom to admit she is doing so.

Step two:  Let Mom explain to you her reasons why she enables/allows it to occur

Step three:  Overcome each and every reason offered individually.

• God

Your mother wishes she could live in your sister's place.

You cannot control other peoples behaviour, only your reaction to it. Stop trying to "fix" other people, and MYOB

• ?

You cant control what other people do

You can't but you don't have to be a part of it.