Purchasing a car with an out of state title? I need help.?

I am considering purchasing a vehicle in California that currently is registered in Arizona and has an Arizona title. It was recently smog and the registration is not due until 3/2021. The issue is while the California online transfer title seems simple, it is very difficult to contact anyone as COVID has shut down all assistant services, etc. I am unsure if I am supposed to change the title first or if I am supposed to register the vehicle first? I am also very lost as to whether i need to go late a duplicate title application with the current owner as I have the title but it is not the required “California title”. Has anyone dealt with this before? It feels very difficult to find any help or clarity. I’d appreciate any advice. I did a CarFax report and it has a perfect record. Thank you.

You can't do anything online. You'll have to wait for the DMV to open. They will take the AZ title & give you a new one. Not a replacement title.

Registering, buying a tag and the title are all handled at the same visit. Your new title comes later by mail.

You may still be able to drive it without a tag because of the shutdown. But you need insurance and ask insurance specifically if you are insured even with no tag during the DMV closure.

• Scott

AZ smog test means nothing in CA. You will need to get it smogged in CA.

• May

You take the properly filled out Az. title to your Ca. DMV, get a CA title in your name, insure it, register it (Buy license plates).