Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Why are there suddenly so many people who cannot wear a mask because of a “medical condition”?

It seems like there’s a lot of people who’s purposely saying that just so they don’t have to wear it. 

Also, apparently there’s a law of some kind where it states they don’t have to disclose what condition they have. But the issue with this is that unless if there’s proof that’s the case for the individual, isn’t it possible that some people would just use this as an excuse not to wear it, then play victim when they are called on for it?

• susan

Yes, it's possible. But it's also possible that most or all of the people you see making this claim are telling the truth. Are you really seeing very many? A month ago, people were being pretty lax in my city about masks and other anti COVID measures, but since the virus started spiking here, and especially since our county passed an emergency order requiring masks, people are mostly in compliance, as far as I can see. 

Today I was in a grocery store, and I looked around while I was in the checkout line and everyone I saw at that moment was wearing a mask. I do know two people who are wearing masks either not at all or as little as possible due to their medical conditions. Both of them are feeling kind of defensive right now due to being repeatedly challenged by strangers on this. I suggest you let it go.

• Isabel

There are legitimately some people who can’t wear a mask for medical reasons. Children under two, quadriplegics, coma patients, and other people who are unable to adjust a mask should it become smothery are unable to wear one safely.  People with asthma and smokers claim they’re unable to safely wear a mask;  however this is untrue. In fact, they should be wearing tighter and more protective masks, because they’re at a significantly greater risk of experiencing severe symptoms should they contract the ‘rona.  The influx of people claiming medical exemptions is just people trying to avoid doing their civic duty to protect their communities, by prioritizing their own immediate physical comfort over their community’s health and safety.

You answered your own question. It's because they don't want to wear one, and this is an excuse that they don't have to justify.

Isn't that obvious?

Why are you surprised that some people are trying to find a way out of doing something they don't like?

FYI. I don't like the face masks. Be careful about the quality. I think the cheap crappy ones would have tiny pieces if lint/cotton breaking off and going into your lungs!! BTW - I don't leave my house, so don't need one . . .   

i think some people might be using that as an excuse not to wear it

• Andy

If a surgeon or surgical staff can wear a mask all day every day, there is NO REASON why anyone can't wear one for an hour to do some shopping. And most doctors will say there aren't that many medical conditions that would be affected by wearing a mask. Wear it, keep yourself safe, keep others safe. Simple. 

The mandatory wearing of masks and a proof of medical condition law is going to depend on your state/area/region.  If masks are not legally required, some people will not wear them and for those ares where masks are required, perhaps there are legal loopholes being discovered for those who do not wish to follow what is being asked of their community.  If you feel someone is deliberately flouting the policy in your area, notify law enforcement.

• drip

My adult son has asthma.  He wears a mask for work for an 8 hour shift. 

I don’t understand what medical problem prohibits you from wearing a mask.

• Ludwig

It is so they can avoid going to work.   They are untermenschen.

• A

People who don't want to be told what to do are going to lie or find a way around it,.  We have special hours for seniors, so why not have special hours for those who can't wear masks.   Where I am they make the senior hours quite inconvenient  5am to 7am.  do the same for non-mask wearers