Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 3 months ago

Would you be able to hear a baby choking while sleeping? ?

Hi there! I am a first time mom and I just had my son over a week ago. I am very terrified that if he happens to throw up in his sleep that I’m not going to hear him even though he is right next to me in his bassinet. I was told that it is not recommended to place them on their sides, only their backs. However I am just concerned that he will vomit in his sleep and start choking and I will not wake up to hear him. Did anyone else have this constant fear? :(

• ron h

I, personally might not hear that.  I'm a man and I sleep like dead people.  Burglars could steal the bed out from under me.  My wife wakes up if the dog sneezes.

Infants are really efficient at swallowing anything that might reflux up into their mouths.

If you are unable to rest worrying about it, you might like this monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/Angelcare-AC017-Movement-Wi...

Nope. Not yet a mum

But i think he or she should always keep the baby by his or her side in other to know when this happens

I don't really know, but I'm thinking there might be crying, gagging, or coughing

• Edna

A healthy newborn baby who is only about one week old isn't likely to choke or vomit in his sleep, no matter what position he's sleeping in. The baby would turn his head to one side, or he would cry. If that happened, you would hear him - believe me.  The mother of a new born baby is VERY attuned to the sounds her infant makes while he's sleeping.  It's her natural instinct. 

You're probably worrying about Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, or crib death. There's really nothing you can do to prevent that or know that it might occur. The seemingly healthy infant is found dead in his crib. He doesn't choke or make any out-cry; he simply stops breathing and dies. 

That could happen even if the infant is sleeping right next to you in your bed. Doctors think it might be associated with defects in the portion of an infant's brain that controls breathing and arousal from sleep.

Put him upside down then the vomit will fall on the floor. 

It's possible you may be able to hear it, unless you're in a deep sleep.

• sarah

You'd be surprised how light you start sleeping once you have kids, lol. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since he's right next to you. Of course, if you sleep with a radio, TV, fan, or anything else that makes a lot of noise, you may want to adjust the volume accordingly until you feel more comfortable.

https://safetosleep.nichd.nih.gov/safesleepbasics/...

^^ You might find this reassuring. It addresses what you're asking about and several other worries I'm sure you have as a new mama.

And if it helps, the sleeping-on-the-back stage won't last long if your son is anything like my daughter. When she was around two and a half months old, she figured out how to roll onto her side, and after that, keeping her on her back was impossible, lol. She's 14 months now and sleeps on her belly with her booty in the air.

Not able to happen.