Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

My husband asked his sister a weird question. ?

My husband asked his sister an off the wall question in front of me. He asked her if she had to save her boyfriend or him from dying, who would she pick. She responded with "I don't know, I don't think I could pick. Why, who would you pick if it were me or your wife?" He said "I would pick you, I would only pick my wife if she was pregnant with my child." I know it seems like a childish thing to be dwelling on, but it made me feel like he loves his sister more than me and it hurt me. Is it wrong or childish that I feel hurt by his answer?

Its not about how much he love his sister, that's blood relation. But you mention if it would have been the pregnancy case he would have chosen you. I think its time for you to reflect on your relationship with him. 

He chose his sister because she is blood. You are not blood to him. You are connected legally through marriage.  This incident should give you an idea of how he loves you. 

Any sane person would be hurt by that. 

To be honest it is completely normal. I believe everyone would be a little upset if they heard that. Though you have to think about it, it is his sister after all. They spent holidays and years together growing up. Though in the other side this just proves that he'll be a very loving father who loves his child more than anything.

@Lily, why is it so important to you to call everyone a troll?   You even go into comments to do it.  Every answer of yours can be reported for chat.  Get a fricking hobby.

To the asker, my fam has these things all the time, but they end up being humorous.  If this was a serious convo and  your husband answered as if he legit was making this choice, that is very weird and there's no way I'd keep my mouth shut.  The biggest question is why he'd bring it up in the 1st place.

• Lili

Another troll fail, dear.

• Ocimom

I have no advice.  I would think spouse should come before family.  

• boj

NO its not wrong or childish. I agree with you, that he loves her more. Something is wrong in your marriage, its not normal for a husband to put someone before his wife and definitely not normal to ask someone that question (in front of his wife)  knowing the other person is gonna ask them to answer it. The whole point of it was to say in front of you that he wouldnt choose you.  You need to talk to him (calmly) about it to get to the bottom of it. Maybe he wants out of the marriage just doesnt know how to bring it up.

• Liz

“A man . . . must stick to his wife and they must become one flesh.”—GENESIS 2:24.

I can't speak for anyone else but my wife is by far the most important thing in my life.  Far more important than my mother or brothers or my own children. Speaking about "every man has his price" I pointed out that I would commit any crime if it was to save my wife.  THAT was my price.

Savannah:- you may not understand what a marriage IS but although I have expressed it before I will say it again.  She became my flesh and my blood.  My heart my arm and my leg when I married her.  We are more identical than most twins.  We are a part of each other's thoughts.  We know what each other is thinking or about to say before they do.  I could no more live without her than without a set of lungs.  Any person who would put any child above that DESERVES to be divorced.  Of course many of them are.  But that is their loss.  Sometimes we have been apart for quite a few hours.  That is hard.  But at the end of it?  A story which is true describes it.  I had been on a hard bike ride with a thousand other riders.  At the end of the day I came into the oval where people were camped.  Tents everywhere.  On the far side of the oval 200 m away, there she was.  Her hair blowing in the breeze and glinting in the sun.  In that instant everything else disappeared.  The tents, the people, and the bike.  I ran to her.  Held her in my arms and suddenly all was right with the world again. 

No matter how much I love my children it cannot compete with this.  In any way shape or form.  Now I ask you how is YOUR marriage?