Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 3 weeks ago

If Trump gets his way with his "merit-based" immigration system, how many immigrants will we naturalize under it? Will it slash immigration?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It won't lower immigration one bit. What it will do is put every American scientist and engineer out of work, with their job filled by an Indian or Chinese person who will work cheaper. It is a system designed to lower wages for everyone, and put more profit in CEO's pocket. It is no different from our current system in that respect.

• 3 weeks ago

Republicans want to cut immigration by setting ‘merit’ requirements so high only a thousand people in the world will be able to fulfil them.

• 3 weeks ago

It depends on the details. Changing the criteria or categories for immigration to the U.S. says nothing about the quantity of immigrants admitted.

If the new criteria are added to existing criteria, or are more expansive, then immigration may increase. If they are more restrictive, than immigration could decrease. 

Given the direction of immigration policy coming out of the Trump administration, I'm guessing that any new system proposed would reduce immigration if they can get it through Congress, but again, it depends on the details. 

• 3 weeks ago

Most countries have a merit based system.  E.g., Canada does, and we let in about 300,000 immigrants a year, and things are going pretty well.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes, that's the point of it. We don't need vast numbers of unskilled workers crossing the borders so they can mooch off of the welfare system but we do need more highly skilled professionals (such as surgeons, for example.) Immigrants with good qualifications can enrich a society, whereas those with no skills are a burden.

Many other countries already have this kind of a system and it works well. 

• 3 weeks ago

All immigration systems I know of after being involved with immigration law for over 2 decades favor merit-based immigration. And that makes a great deal of sense, doesn't it? We don't need millions of more people to fill minimum wage jobs; we need people whose skills can help this country to get ahead of its competition. There will still be family-based immigration, but we will stop the snowball of chain immigration, should Trump stay in office.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I believe that is its intention. But one supposes in 2021 we'll abandon all immigration law under the new administration. 

• 3 weeks ago

Most countries have "merit-based" - or qualified - immigration, requiring education, training, language ability & more. US needs to update requirements for all prospective immigrants or they have no chance of supporting themselves, integrating into the culture, customs, laws, etc. of US. Regardless of the system used, immigration visa availability needs to be drastically reduced as US population growth rates are impoverishing - and that's no good for citizens or immigrants.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If it is merit based does that mean that Melanoma's parents will have to go back?

• 3 weeks ago

I dunno. However the merit base system is designed to create a better quality of immigrant, as opposed to the democrats current lottery system.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.