How many normal sockets can I use from a 7kw generator, and how?

I'm wanting to get a generator to run my PA system, led lighting and inflatable blower that all run off normal UK plugs ranging from 3amp - 13 amp. What is the safest way to do this? Is there a power distributor of sorts I can get? Or is it a case of running lots or extension leads?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 days ago

It is not how many plugs you have,  it is what kind of power load you have.   You could have 100 plugs if you wanted if each one only had a 70 watt bulb attached to it.  

You either have to use extension cords OR you have to hook it up to your main circuit box with the correct disconnect to the main power.   Usually that requires an electrician to do it correctly and you should call the power company as some want to inspect the work to make sure you do not feed power back into the line.  

• arther
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

extension cords fit a couple of extra outlets on on the genie if you need to. 240 volt at 29 amps would probably do it.

Ill guess something like

10 amp for the pa system 

8 for the blower

3 for the leds

work out how much current each appliance needs add the up then you know full load current.

Attachment image
  • 3 weeks ago

you total up the amp load of all the items you want to run, then add 20pc and see if that is less than the rated steady load of the generator. [amps times voltage = watts]  if yes, one large [thick] extension leading to a power strip is sufficient.  make sure the extension is rated for more than the amp load you propose to send through it.  -- granddad

• Zany
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

It's all about math and counting what you're running. A 7kw generator probably has a running limit of 6kw. 6/kw /200V = 30 amps max. load. The generator is probably under-powered and will run loud for what you want to do.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

7KW is plenty to do what you are describing unless there is just a lot of it..You mention UK  (as in England?)  I don't know enough about UK generators & what sort of capabilities your particular generator has for hook up.  Some you could hook up a high amperage feed to a distribution center, others you would have to run individual  lower rated circuits.

• 3 weeks ago

The generator can put out 7KW, and how many amps?

You would have to get the power requirements of each piece of gear and add them all up to make sure the generator can supply the required voltage and amperage.

Then... power strips may work, depending on how far you need to spread out this power. The generator only has a limited number of outlets, and each outlet can only supply a specific current. You would need to balance the load across the available plugs to prevent damage to the generator and equipment.

There probably is some sort of distribution system out there... but I don't any place to direct you to look.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.