Hospital bill that I can’t pay?

I am a full time college student with a part time job. I do not have insurance and I recently had to go to the emergency room. I have chest pains fairly regularly, but most of the time they quickly subside and I feel fine. But the other night they were so bad and lasted for so long that I thought I was having a heart attack. I knew it would be expensive, but I was terrified and felt like I didn’t have any choice. I went to the emergency room and they did an ekg and bloodwork and determined that everything was fine and sent me home. I received the bill today and it is almost $8,000. I honestly never expected it would be anywhere close to that much, especially since I didn’t really need any treatment. They have an option for  setting up a monthly plan, but my minimum monthly payment is $1300. I make about $1200/month and my rent and utilities end up being about $850/month. I am so scared and stressed and have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make extra money or any type of program or something that could help me? 

Call that hospital, ask for Patient Financial Services dept. Tell them this, and offer to pay what you can per month. $100.00 OK ? Easy for you ?

They will bill you. KEEP IN MIND though, you miss ONE payment and they can demand the total in full, and WILL wreck your credit for years to come.

Remember you may need a hospital again sometime, you want help, do the right thing.

• Alan H

You have my 

deepest sympathy for living in a socially backward society, where health is the prerogative of wealth.  In civilised societies there is healthcare for all, free at tne point of need.

Use your vote in November and encourage all your friends to do the same.  Obamacare was a step in the right direction but it needs to be universal, as it has been in the U.K. for 75 years.

• g

You start with being honest about what you can pay each month, commit to that and see what you can do beyond that.

• A

Get another job, but you should be able to work out a payment schedule that you can afford. Offer to pay 100 per month

• Eva

Talk to the social workers at the hospital. Most hospitals have a foundation that will help people without insurance pay their bill if they meet certain income requirements. Depending on where you live, you might qualify for Medicaid. They will cover back bills and are the only insurance that will. The hospital can't assess your situation until they see your financials.

• art

hookers and escort girls make decent money, its not hard work - you just have to lie there and let the guy do all the work

They'll reduce the price and get you on a payment plan you can afford.