Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

What kind of stove has a low chance of causing a fire. ?

I have a short-term memory problem. What stove can I buy so that if I forget to turn it off, say I turn it off in an hour . What type of stoves won't cause a fire if I turn off in an hour instead of right away. 

You need a microwave oven. 

Stay away from stoves.

One that is operated by a responsible intelligent adult 

A stove that is unplugged 

NO properly functioning stove is a fire hazard unless you leave flammable materials on, or very close to the surface.

Check out induction cook top, it only heats your cookware and if you place your hand when it's on, it will not burn your hand.

I'm just as forgetful, so either set a time on my phone or I leave the lights on my cooker hood, usually when I pass the kitchen it reminds me that I have food cooking on the stove. 

A friend of mine has this problem.  He doesn't use the stove at all anymore because it's just too risky.  He bought himself an electric kettle that switches itself off once the water boils so if he forgets to use it no harm is done.  I sourced him a combination microwave/conventional oven.  It won't start until the timer is set even on the conventional setting.  It 's a Panasonic if that helps.  Depending on your style of cooking an instapot might be suitable for you since it also requires the timer to be set anf you the choice between fast or slow cooking.

Ovens can usually be set to go on and off at set times. I have never seen a kitchen stove with timed burners. There ought to be such a thing. It would prevent a lot of house fires, I'm sure. Why my latest-technology induction range, which costs twice as much as an average range, doesn't have that, I don't know. It's got everything else, including wifi connectivity which I'll never use. A timed burner is something I'd probably use at least a few times a week. Why don't we write to some stove makers and ask why they don't have that feature?

A little googling, however, turns up a device which looks pretty good. Turns off the stove if there is no motion detected after 5 minutes, or can be made to turn off the stove after a certain time. It works with gas and electric stoves

It's called iGuardStove

• elhigh

You don't have to shop for a specific stove; there are auto-off devices you can add to the outlet in line with the stove to ensure you don't accidentally leave it on.  Then any stove will work.  There are different levels of protection to be had and the more sophisticated ones definitely cost more...but rebuilding your burned-out house is pretty expensive too, and this is the kind of thing you definitely want to show to your insurance agency - they may give you a break on your premium, which could completely negate the purchase price of the device itself.

Just look up "Automatic stove turn off" and start looking around to see what suits your needs.

Good luck with it.