Which type of sander should I buy? ?

I need a sander for light jobs around the house. Immediate uses would be to sand 6 hardwood garden chairs in preparation for treatment, an interior window sill for painting and various cracks in plaster for filling and painting. Which type of sander is best for this sort of thing, and are there any particular models within this category which are highly recommended? Many thanks. 

Palm sander. Light, needs only one hand to use properly, and easy to use at odd angles which your chairs will have. For some of the things you mention, I wouldn't use a power tool at all. Cracks in plaster, for instance, are best done by hand, because a power sander may remove far too much too fast and you won't feel what you're doing. Buy a sanding pad or block to use for hand sanding. No power sander ever gets properly into corners or details, anyway

Any brand will do if what you describe is the kind of use you anticipate. My palm sander, Black and Decker probably, cost about $30 over ten years ago and worked fine the last time I used it.

your chairs have varying surfaces, full of nooks and crannies ... that calls for some tool with a narrow, pointy type end.  Think you're looking for an oscillating [hand held] multifunction power tool.  yes, the sandpaper they use costs more than sheet paper ... but it'll get into the corners of the chairs whereas a flat power sander will not.  -- grampa

A light sander from any of the leading brands is good.  Do not overthink it.

For as LITTLE use as you mention, I would get sheets of sandpaper an a block of wood.

You want to buy a random orbital sander.

My favorite company is Milwaukee. Their units are generally twice as expensive but they will last you three or four times as long. However, if you are only going to use the thing a few times in your lifetime, any sander will do.