Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Why would a craft room need an independent supply of utilities?

The craft room at the house we just bought has an independent plumbing and electrical system from the rest of the house. There are also strange electrical outlets in the attic.

These additional Water, Sewer, Fiber Optic, Electrical and Gas systems are live when the main utilities for the house are shut off.

There is both regular and “Anhydrous” gas  hooked up to this craft room. We did a red dye test to trace the sink drain in the craft room and it appears to drain directly into the lake behind the house.

The electrical and other utilities lines run through the 8 inch drain pipe and the electrical comes in via “orange extension cords” this powers three copper rails in the attic that distribute power to the craft room and to little outlets in the attic. There are also little “drip irrigation” tubes running all throughout the attic.

What was this setup for and how do we shut it off? We can’t find a breaker anywhere?

A craft room doesn't require separate utilities.

There are many possible reasons the room in question may have had separate utility service installed.

Off hand, I can think of 2 possible reasons.

1. The room was rented out and the tenant paid there own utilities.

2. The room was used for a business. Separate utilities make deducting them as business expenses easier.

I'm curious, do you use an app or do you have an old-fashioned day planner to keep track of when to repost this question?

The 'I found some weird stuff in the attic of my new house' troll is back.

• elhigh

Either you're trolling or you found someone's former growing operation location.

Stolen utilities = illegal activity. Weed in the attic, drugs downstairs.

Perhaps it was a crystal meth factory.

My wife once had an electric kiln for ceramics. It took a dedicated 220 v circuit.