Can a landlord raise the rent as punishment because the tenants were causing trouble? ?

It did not happen to me by the way

• n2mama

If a tenant has a lease, the landlord cannot raise the rent within that lease period. If the tenant is month to month, the landlord has to give appropriate notice of the rent increase (usually 30 days, subject to local laws) before being able to put it in effect. Some areas have limits on how much a landlord can increase the rent, many do not. If a tenant is a problem tenant, the landlord may decide to raise the rent at the end of the lease term, which is not against the law.

maybe, if not under a lease

If there is no lease, they can raise the rent for any reason, or no reason.  

It all depends on what is on the tenant's lease with the landlord.

Yes, it's possible, for a landlord to increase the rent, but it can't legally be done as a punishment. Hypothetically speaking if a tenant doesn't have a lease with a landlord then the landlord can do whatever he wants. He can say to the tenant next month you own me 1 Billion, or 1 Trillion dollars. Because there is nothing in writing that states any form of agreement. I met a couple of men ex roommates of mine who never made a lease with the landlord. There are landlords who are @$$holes. Even if a tenant has a lease, and if it's not properly written then the tenant can still get screwed. I got kicked from where I was renting, and living, but my ex roommates didn't make a lease, and they were allowed to stay.

My ex landlord didn't like how I was living, and he invaded my space, so it's not like I will ever see him again. If I do end up seeing him, and he needs me, for anything then I will tell him to go f**k himself.

People assume tenants can't save money to buy their own home. I negotiated with my ex landlord, so I can have cheaper rent, for 1 year. My rent was pretty cheap, and I was able to save a lot of money.

In life tables can turn around, so if people choose to be on people's bad side then someone just might end up regretting it later on.

Currently I am still a renter, and I might become an owner. In other words I might be buying my own home!

• R P

The rent can be raised at lease renewal time, and depending on the state, no reason for the increase is necessary.

The rent cannot be increased until it is time to renew the lease or rental agreement.

Yes, but only when it's time to sign a  new lease or when you have a month to month tenancy.

Sure. Unless the tenants have an iron clad lease, the landlord can raise the rent as much as he wants any time he wants.

do you have a signed lease ????  What does IT say ???

Yes, they can, on contract the rent goes on increasing after years. Owner can charge more to one and less to others, it solely depends on owner.

Absolutely not, that is so illegal. They can, however, issue you with an eviction notice.