Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 3 weeks ago

What age should a little girl start wearing a training bra?

My daughter is 7 1/2 I have noticed that she is getting a slight chest on her. If she wears a tight fitting shirt or something similar it's noticeable. I have bought her a few gym workout style shirts that have bras built in and she seems more comfortable with them than regular shirt's. I'm just worried she is going to get self conscious when school starts back this fall if another student says something to her about her chest. Unfortunately all the girls and women in our family are blessed and cursed with big boobs and unfortunately developing semi early for a chest.  

Before anyone starts saying my daughter is fat no she is not. She is far from it! She is a competitive cheerleader and in gymnastics she is super active and skinny compared to most her age. 

• 1 week ago

When she gets breasts. I don't know why little girls have to wear bikinis when they don't have any breasts. 

1 week ago

First and foremost, stop buying her tight shirts or tops that excentuate her bustline. That solves a lot of your concerns. I am not suggesting she wear oversized baggy ill fitting clothing because there are many decent clothing styles to choose from.

I would not go as far as buying her a training bra because they can be seen through certain clothing. She needs no support at this stage, so spaghetti strap tanks would be perfect for her to wear under her clothing. As long as you don't buy anything that has padding and is tight fitting, she will be comfortable. I have a few tankinies and they are not only ultra comfortable, they are not noticeable under clothing. If you have a Kohl's department store near you, shop there or go on-line as they have a fantastic selection of under garments.

I commend you for being concerned about how she will be treated at school and for your alertness about your daughter"'s frame of mind. Go shopping until you find what you are looking for and when you find clothing that works, buy one in every color available. 

Unrelated: I noticed my son's hairline receding ever so slightly in high school. I did not bring it to his attention. Instead, I casually brought up the topic of hair and how ridiculous society was to focus on such a thing. Noting that people have the hair their body was meant to have.I was priming his psyche as not to see baldness as a negative trait. Now he is a 34 year old self confident man with a receding hair line and has zero self conscience issues. I have a feeling you will do well by your daughter in regard to her bustline.

When she starts getting  breast buds.  So there is no set age  every  girl is different.  If she has something then yes it is time for a training  bra 

Whenever she starts getting little breast buds. I think I starting wearing one when I was like 11 in 5th grade (but also that’s when I started developing.) If her chest is starting to become noticeable then get her one now

I would check with your daughter's pediatrician about this, because she may be showing signs of precocious puberty. 7 years old is much too young for her to be showing breast development, even if she is athletic. Since there are some genetic disorders that can cause early puberty, it might be wise to have your daughter evaluated by her doctor. She may need hormone therapy or medication to slow her growth down.

My .02 cents

When the buds begin developing, then its time for a girl to start wearing a training bra! Two reasons to this 1) They need to get the proper support for the breasts early on, this avoids health complications later on in life 2) So that she doesn't get self concious out in public if her nipples poke through her shirt.

Her wearing a bra shouldnt be an issue for her, you have already said she feels comfortable wearing a sports bra underneath her shirt, a real bra wouldn't feel any different to her.

Most girls will start to wear bra at the age 12 or 13. If her chest is no longer flat and her breast started to be "out" or noticed, then she can start to wear the bra.

• J

If she has boobs, she should wear a training bra. She doesn’t need to wear it all the time but she should get used to the feeling of wearing a bra before she really needs it. If she’s more comfortable with a built in bra, then let her wear that. The last thing you want is for people to notice your 7 year olds chest. Let her wear whatever is comfortable for her. 

when her tiddies get bigger

• Jesere

Sports bras are best