At what point is a scratch too deep to be removed?

My idiot neighbor slammed a rock into my door with a lawnmower.

I have a 2020 Hyundai Accent.

I can get the dent removed with paintless dent removal.

But there are also 2 small scratches it looks like. They get more visible when it's very sunny outside.

I tried to see if I can catch my fingernail on them, and I actually CAN feel the scratch with my fingernail. My fingernail doesn't really "catch" on the scratch, but I can definitely feel a rough spot as my finger travels across the scratch.

Does that automatically mean it's too deep to be removed?i tried to include a picture but  this site wouldn't let me. 

Here is a photo of the dent/ scratch, if anyone wants to see

the scratch isn't that visible in shade but it gets very noticeable in direct sunlight

https://imgur.com/a/mKRDWTB

You can't ever remove a scratch.  The scratch itself is the removal of paint.  If it's deep past the color into the primer or past the primer into metal, then something needs to be added.  Right away. 

The dent can be mostly removed if you can get behind it.  Otherwise filler must be added and the area repainted.

• CB

That looks like it can be repaired using paintless dent repair from - because of the color pretty good chance any scratches can be buffed out. 

Source(s): Used to work on a lot where rental cars were repaired by a PDR guy and watched him work many times - he even took a dent out of my truck tailgate.

When you can't remove it.

Dents can often be popped back out using various tools (there's also a trick where you can use dry ice to remove minor dents from metal - they used to do this on airplane wiings), however if there is a crease in the dent, then it will generally be necessary to fix and either touch up paint (or re-paint the whole panel).

Scratches can often be buffed out - but again, it may be necessary to do some fill and touch-up paint (or again, re-paint the whole panel).  It's mostly a matter of how much you care what it looks like afterwards.  Getting paint to match can be difficult - especially if the car has sat in the sun a lot and faded - so sometimes it can be necessary to repaint the whole vehicle in order to fix a vehicle to perfection (but if  one is that old it may or may not be worth doing it - unless the vehicle has intrinsic value).

• Stacie

I am having a hard time seeing the scratches in the photo. I can see the dent but not the scratches. 

Typically, If the scratches only go through part of the clear top coat, it can simply be buffed out. That may be an option for you before actually paying to have it touched up. 

Be careful if you are using a dent puller on a dent that small, you want to make sure you do not over pull, or pull more then you have too. The small dents sometimes don't "pop" out as easily and instead you get like a crease around the dent where it clearly looks like a failed fix.  

I personally would not even bother insurance on that. Even with zero deductible you are going to have a claim on your issuance and on the car.  Even a claim that is not your fault still has a negative impact to you (times have changed, it use to not, but now it does) Also most insurers require that you take it to a specific company, and most of them do not do just "touch-up" they will repaint the door. 

My advise, get the dent popped, and then get a buff and wax and see where you are at then. 

Call your insurance company.