What do you think of the Mona Lisa?

This is the world's most famous painting, but I find it very boring. I've read about WHY it stands out, such as symmetry, and her mood, but can't come to appreciate it more than a bunch of other paintings I have seen. I feel like I'm just not getting why it's so great, like I'm missing something.

I understand why you might feel that way and you're right- It's the symmetry. However, like I've mentioned before, art is all about perspective! What you like, others might now and vice versa.

Ugly, boring, and overrated....like my ex-girlfriend.

I think it is the very early smile, It would be a little like seeing some people on an 1855 daguerreotype mugging, sticking out a tongue and making bunny ears.  My personal opinion is that it was a study for a larger commissioned painting that never got made, so he had a little fun with it.  I think Leonardo wanted to try out several things at once.  I think he wanted to see what a face would look like if only the eyes were smiling but the rest of the face was in repose.  I think he started painting some noblewoman, and maybe she never paid him, so he just reused the painting to study facial proportions and paint the little crinkle under the eyes, and... I think he was using himself as the model, looking in the mirror, converting the proportions of his male features into the female equivalents, and he was starting to crack up when he was doing the eyes!  Since this wasn't going to be sold to anyone, he could just make up whatever background he wanted.  So he just kept it around because he thought it was funny...either that or my own personal fiction; is that it is a portrait of one of the greatest poisoners of the Renaissance!  Yes, perhaps that is the look of a noblewoman who had left a trail of dead noblemen behind her that would leave both Livia and Lucrezia in the dust!

• Marli

I'm a "Don't know anything about Art but I like what I like" person.  To me, the painting looks greens and blues and drab. Or sinister. The lady is supposed to look young and beautiful, but she looks like one of the crones in "Macbeth" to me.

"The Last Supper" or any of Leonardo's other paintings or drawings are much more interesting.

• gerald

There is a lot of the kings new clothes about art, the Mona Lisa was just another painting by a famous artist till it made world news when it was stolen in broad daylight in the early 20th century , Napoleon had it and Da Vinci had it till he died in France its said he constantlty changed it SAID , he has others of women in holland that are extremely fine , its just the magic of he did it we can all copy but to create is the real art, its him if he fell off a bike it would bs special its what we do ,

i think it was fairly obscure, besides being something a famous painter made, and then it got stolen from the louvre museum and became popular for being stolen and recovered. 

Yeah, I don't really get it either. My favorite painting is The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh.