Why do people provoke others into assaulting them?

Sure it's the person's fault for wanting to punch them or even doing it, but outside legality, isn't the instigator morally wrong to knowingly upset a person because they can get away with it?

Or maybe your question really should be, why do people let other people provoke them into assaulting them? Isn't it "morally wrong" to assault somebody because you're emotionally upset? As the saying goes, 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words shall never hurt me.'

I am not trying to 'justify' the instigators being right, as they're acting wrong too, but even more wrong, is the person who cannot control their emotions because of it, and attacks somebody physically. There's always going to be bratty jerks in the world. They will never go away. So we just all better get used to it, and learn how to deal with them.

It's morally wrong to instigate a fight, but not legally wrong. Most people who provoke others are looking for an excuse to fight.