Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Is it legal to expose someone for being a racist? ?

Before I’m attacked for why would you want to expose someone I’d like to say this person is pure evil and emotionally and physically abused me for 4 years in addition is extremely racists and makes inappropriate jokes about it all the time is it legal to expose them or could they press charges ? 

You would need to be certain of your accusation. If the other person objects to your claim, they can sue you for defamation (either libel or slander). If your only evidence is that they till inappropriate jokes, you could end up paying out some money to them to compensate for their damaged reputation.

• xyzzy

It is not illegal to be a racist but there is nothing to prevent you from claiming someone is racist.. Plus there are very few people who are actually racist.

It's not only legal but a mandatory part of any resume' to work in "news" media these days. 

Not at all illegal.

We see it happening left and right these days - people losing their jobs for not even a real racial action but an implied one and even while not on the clock or wearing any kind of insignia that indicates who their employer is.

I'll say what my personal, humble opinion is is that things are just getting weird... like weirder than ever before and that is saying quite a bit.

I'm Asian born in America and I have stories - but there is a line of practicality and then sheer weirdness...

When extremes are exhorted to it clearly demonstrates that no one actually has any good ideas on how to fix things so they're just going all-out and that is very depressing.

No one can pick this apart with an essay?

I could - but no one has asked. 

So lets say you expose them. What do you expect to happen then? Why are you even associating with someone that has been  abusing you physically for 4 years? If that is actually true it seems to me as though you should have reported them to the local authorities 4 years ago!

• Greg

If they're famous I think it is. It's a whole thing having to do with slander and libel. If you do it to someone who's not famous I think you can get in trouble

• Troy

It is not illegal. But if you cause a person loss and they sue you for defamation of character then be prepared to defend your story with something more than your best recollection or you will be liable for the compensation.