Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

What would cause 2 rear tires to deflate?

Not all at once, but over a period of time. It’s a 2009 Honda Civic.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

All tires deflate eventually, it depends on what you call a period of time.  Could be punctures, could be valves, could be poor bead seals, could be porous alloy wheels, could be someone doing it deliberately. Get 'em checked. A good tire place will remove the wheels, overinflate them and dunk them in a tank to look for bubbles.

• 4 weeks ago

the air is leaving the tires, this is your issue as no air = not tire = no tire no go = no driving . sorr man yor a goner

• 4 weeks ago

Almost every time I have a tire lose air over time, it's a puncture.  It's not impossible to get punctures in more than one tire.  On at least one occasion, I've had more than one puncture in one tire.

People that do work on house often load up debris onto trucks and drive it down to the dump with bits and pieces (including nails, screws, and other bits of metal, glass, etc.), and it can easily end up in tires.

Sometimes the front tire will roll over a nail and stand it up - and it will puncture the back tire.  I've removed nails/screws and plugged my own tires for years with the kits you can buy (once you buy the t-handle tool, you an keep buying plugs), and have never had a problem.

They are usually pretty easy to find, but sometimes whatever punctured it will get embedded in the tire (at first you might be able to see a nail head, but it gets worn off pretty quick, and if it is small enough it can almost disappear).  You can simply put the tire into a tub of water and usually quickly see where the air is escaping.

On some occasions the air valve can leak - but in my experience it is pretty rare.  A bent/damaged rim can sometimes prevent a tire from sealing properly too - but in most cases it is going to be a puncture.  You can take it to a place and have them plug it (get quotes - but usually around $30).

If the tire is already fairly worn out, then putting that money towards a new tire might be better (of course a tire place is going to try to convince you to buy a tire/tires.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

because the air leaks out

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Rim leaks or a leak at the valve stem. 

• Barry
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Remove the wheels and put 50 psi into the tires and use soapy water to find the leak. 

Check the bead seals where the tire fits the rim and the valve inside and out.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

How LONG of a period of time? That's crucial information. Another is whether the car was ever exposed to salted roads in the winter or is driven  in a coastal environment. A third useful bit of information that you have failed to tell us is whether it has steel wheels or alloy wheels. The point of these questions is that wheel corrosion could be an issue. 

• 4 weeks ago

Well it could be the tire not dealing at the bead ,it could even be loose valve stem cores ,and most important it could be some a home friend fu@#ing with you too .Good luck either way it's easy to get fixed Unless the tire bead dies not fully seal at the rim .Which can and does happen 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Go to a tire shop and get the tires checked.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.