Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

What should I do about my air-conditioning problem?

And number of times, my air conditioner stopped working on me. It usually happens at night here in South Florida, when I needed the most. Anyhow, someone told me that I need to just keep it running all the time when it’s working, because it takes a long time to cool down again when I shut it off.  But here I am this time for about five or six hours waiting, and it still hasn’t started working again. Should I shut it off for a few hours and give it a rest, or should I just leave it on, and wait for it to start working again?

• Edwena

Take a garden hose and wash off the fins of the outside unit, and clean out all of the leaves and grass clippings.    The outside unit is probably so dirty it is overloading its cooling ability.  The unit can't handle it, so it shuts down until things calm down.  Now, you should leave the unit on and control the temperature you want with the thermostat.  Set it on 76 and see if you are comfortable, adjust as you want.  If your unit does run continuously, then it is not cooling correctly and needs more refrigerant added.  That requires a service call from an air conditioner repair company.  If you do not have a thermostat, then you need to have one installed. 

Call a ac repairman 

Ever considered insulating your room , so that the ac doesn’t hv to work hard each time to battle a losing thermal throttling game 

• elhigh

You may need to have your system diagnosed for faults.  A properly functional HVAC system can literally go all day; yours should not be cutting out for no reason.  But before you do that, read on:

It's worth asking whether the system is ever reaching the set temperature on the thermostat.  If it isn't, strongly consider cleaning the condenser coils (outside).  

The indoor coils are protected from lint and stuff by the house air filter, but the outdoor coils have no such protection, and can get badly blocked by years' worth of crud preventing air flow through the coils.  You HAVE to have air flow through the coils in order for the system to dump heat from inside your house onto air outside your house.  Look up any of the many tutorials on cleaning coils and try that before calling an expensive pro.  If that doesn't help, drop back and call someone in.

Try opening a window instead of relying on ac which uses up electricity. How tfdo you think people in actual hot countries or people without ac cope. Stop acting like a self entitled American t.w.a.t

It sounds like your AC is not sufficiently powerful enough to cool without shutting down. I'd get a better one. You're just straining the motor by turning it on and off so much, and it's obviously under strain as it is. 

insufficient data.  has the house reached the target temperature?  and how you know that it didn't turn on at 4am when you were sleeping?

There is something wrong with the AC system.  Is hot air coming out of the vents?  Yes, set the thermostat to the coldest setting.  Go outside and see if the outside unit is running.  If it is not running, there is your problem.  Call an HVAC technician.  Capacitor in outside unit is likely bad.  Or the thermostat is bad.

Shut it down ,depending on the type you have .It's hard to guess at which steps you should take after you shut it down .If it's not restarting ,and or it just won't start at all .Turn the thermostat off ,if there is a disconnect by the condenser outside of the home .If it has. Handle turn it off and check the fuses ,sometimes it only had. A black plastic block you pull out .Though not all are fused So it is worth checking anyway .But shut it down let it rest for maybe 20nto 30 minutes It may be overloaded by heat and shut it self off to protect the compressor in the unit .If it's a wall unit check the GFCI on the end of the cord But **** it down and try to restart it Inna lil while Best I can offer you at this time 

For a home air conditioner you should be asking in the HOME & GARDEN category, not Cars & Transportation.