Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 4 weeks ago

Should I pay for my daughter's college tuition and should I make her change her major?

Okay, so my daughter is going to start college in 2021 and she asked me if I would help pay for her tuition and I said yes. However, when I asked my daughter what she was majoring in, she said that she would study Art History. I was a bit disappointed in my daughter when she told me this. I thought that she would major in something more useful. When I told her that I don't think Art History is a very good major, she got mad at me and told me I was wrong. I don't want to be a dick, but I don't know if I want to pay her tuition or not if she is majoring in Art History. I am a single father and I make about $75,000 a year. Should I make my daughter change her major and should I pay for her tuition if she is majoring in Art History?

• L

You offered and were WRONG in getting upset with her major.  I have a grand daughter who, ever 6-months, changed her major......no big deal.  Just pay it and be happy she even wants to go to college. 

You aren't obliged to pay for anything once your daughter turns 18 and is a legal adult, pal. If you don't want to pay for her schooling, then don't. But be warned- she may never forgive you for not helping her. Instead of condemning her for wanting to study Art History, why don't you find out WHY she wants to do this. Ask her what she plans to do with a degree in that subject. She may be planning to teach, like perhaps at the college level, or go to work for a non-profit, such as one of the major museums in New York or Washington DC. Or she may be interested in pursuing a career with the Smithsonian or a related group.

Art history isn't a bad field of study. If your daughter acquires enough knowledge on the subject, she might also be able to work as an appraiser, and they make good money, particularly if they work for one of the major auction houses like Sotheby's or Christie's. Or she could go to work for the government at one of the major libraries, such as the Library of Congress. No, I really think you need to find out more about what your daughter really wants to do before you make any decisions about whether or not to fund her education. Keep in mind too that it's not uncommon for students to change their major after the first couple years of college. They may start out in a field like Art History, but then after a while realize that it just isn't right for them.

You shouldn't judge what your daughter is interested in, especially BEFORE she even gets to college. Many students end up changing their majors more than once. Pay her tuition--let her pick out her area of interest. For the first two years she isn't going to get a lot of education in her major anyway. Things can change. Don't try to make her 'change' before she's even gotten started. 

• Cammie

You go to college to become an educated person , not to get a job.That's trade school .She should study what she loves.

I am going to make a couple of educated guesses why you already know demanding her to change majors is a bad idea.  1.  You went to college too.  2.  What you thought you would major in before starting college isn't what you ended being your major.  3.  What career choice you made was not in the field of your college major.  Your parents didn't predetermine your major when you went to college.  How close am I?

Making her change her major will only make her blame you for a failed career choice. 

You are a helicopter parent or something for making her change her major

Do not make your daughter change her major. It's her life to lead, not yours. Ask her what she wants to do with her future. Frankly, most jobs that require a college degree want to know: Can you write? Can you research? Can you make an argument? Those are things that all college majors teach. Most white-collar jobs have some measure of three things: being on a computer, being in a meeting, or being on the phone. It doesn't matter what major she is for those.

So tell her what you can afford to contribute. The college financial office can give you some guidance. She can decide if she can get grants and loans for the rest, or if she wants to do two years of community college first.

And if you don't want to be a dick, don't be a dick.

• edward

I went to university so i didn’t major in something stupid.

Your daughter isn't starting college for an entire year and after she starts college, she will be doing two years of general education requirements (generally speaking), so there are three years that she could change her mind... or not. What is she hoping to be able to do with her degree? What are her hopes and dreams and plans? I believe that, if possible, parents really should send their kids to a community college for a couple years... no need to spend tons of money on universities, but get them their general education pre-requisites and some time to experience early adulthood a little bit. Make volunteering a priority, let her take some introduction courses into things she's interested in.