Hum noise in sound system?

I bought a acustic audio 5.1 surround system and over time it makes a hum noise the longer it's on the louder it gets volume doesn't change it is there a way to fix it if so I would like to know i think it's a ground loop I'm not  for sure

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Consider purchase of a more upscale surround solution. Inexpensive and off brand equipment usually does not last long and are either not repairable, or worth the cost of repair. Check your wiring, especially your speaker wiring very carefully

• 1 month ago

take to a repair guy

• Lance
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Try plunging it into another outlet....try moving the unit out and plug it in to a different outlet...If the problem persists its probably the power supply going out, but if not it may be a ground loop or Phantom ground loop...Phantom loops are created when power cords and line cords travel parallel paths in close proximity. Separate line cords from power cords including speaker wire, if they do have to cross they should do so at 90 degree angles...Also do not stack equipment; power supplies in close proximity can also create a phantom loop through a magnetic field...A magnetic field can act as a circuit path and create a ground loop...If your still getting a ground loop and its not a power supply failure it may be that the electrical outlet is not giving a proper ground to all your equipment...All equipment should be connected to the same outlet using a power strip or surge suppressor this will assure that the ground resistance is the same for all equipment...If one piece of equipment is getting a different ground resistance this is capable of creating a ground loop...Also try a different outlet ....Even if you have to move everything to do it....Using an extension cord is usually not a good idea because the cord will increase resistance for ground exasperating the problem but sometimes in the real world if it works, no reason why and no questions asked...

• 2 months ago

There is nothing you can do to correct the problem yourself. 

Take it to an audio repair shop. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

That sounds more like a power supply failure; smoothing caps failing so AC ripple is getting through the PSU.

A "hum loop" effect would generally be constant.

• 2 months ago

you could bring it to a place that fixes stuff and see what they say

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.