Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 3 weeks ago

American people ! What do you think about foreign actors play American roles?

• Wilson

I don't think about it. 

If they are the right actor for the role then what is there to worry about?

The whole point about acting has always meant people playing other people who are  not themselves and/or not LIKE themselves in any way at all.

There is nothing special in the acting world that dictates that (for example) a character who is female, 30 and Italian can be played ONLY by another woman of 30 who is Italian. At present she may be played by a woman of any age or ethnicity, or even by a man, depending on the nature of the production.The days when it will be mandatory for a character to be played by an actor who matches that character in all respects are faintly visible on the horizon. But so far we haven't sunk that low.

As long as they do a good job, I’m fine with it.

If they are cast and do it well I've got no problem with it.

Just like there really isn't a problem with an American playing a European character.   As long as they can produce a convincing accent it isn't a issue.

• Speed

I'm good with it, so long as they do it well. And large numbers of them do.

Charlie Hunnam is British, but played an American so well in Sons of Anarchy that people were often surprised to hear his real accent in interviews. Same with Idris Elba in The Wire. Matthew Rhys is Welsh but played a Russian spy posing successfully as an American businessman in The Americans. Australian Hugh Jackman has played Americans many times, as have fellow Aussies Chris Hemsworth, Russell Crowe, and Eric Bana.

That's just a small sampling. If an actor aspires to be in movie blockbusters, she or he will be wise to perfect portraying American characters.

• sam

If they can pull off the American accent then I'm impressed. Most of them can't.

• Matt

As long as they accurately portray the character, I don't care.