Apartment: Should I ask my neighbor or the landlord?

I just moved into an apartment and one of the leasing rules is no smoking within 25 ft of the building. On a few occasions, my below neighbors have smoked cigarettes on their balcony which has then blown through my window. I don't want to be THAT neighbor so should I ask them to smoke away from the building or mention it to my landlord?

Tell your landlord. Otherwise, you will have headaches.  That’s why you pay your landlord rent, it goes to building management, and one of their jobs is to make you happy. 

If they are violating the lease, FIRST ask them not to--and if they do not comply, THEN talk to the landlord. You should always try to mediate disputes about un-neighborly conduct with the actual tenants first. The landlord is the person who needs to handle this conduct, though. NOT you. 

Report it to your landlord, and tell him it makes you ill, you are allergic to it and it has to stop.  If they keep it up, keep reporting it and after three times, inform the landlord that it makes you so ill, you are going to be missing work and you don't want to have to sue them or him - pleases evict them.

• Erik

It depends on what kind of people they are.  If they're responsible and considerate, they'll stop, but most smokers are not like that.  Simple solution, get a fan.

• G R

If it were me, i would talk to the neighbors first.  If you haven't met them yet go introduce yourself, say hello... and then say something like "Another reason i'm down here is, i'm not sure how long the apartment i'm in now has been vacant but it must have been long enough that you have gotten comfortable smoking on your patio.  I'd really appreciate it if you would stop because the smoke comes strait into my apartment.  thanks...."  See what they say, it might be no big deal and that they assumed it didn't bother you because you didn't say anything, until now.  If they try to argue it, which i doubt they will, just remind them that its against the rules to smoke..... and i wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt before having to get the landlord involved.

You could also say "... look i'm not a smoker and i don't think its fair or considerate for your habit to cause me health issues too.  If you want to get lung cancer and premature aging and smell like an ash tray go right ahead just don't bring me or anybody else down with you.

You can try aproaching them but they know damb well they are in violation & don't give a sheyt. It is better to report it to the landlord. Enforcing the rules is their job. 

• A

this is a tough situation, chances are you are going to be THAT neighbor. Since you just moved in the neighbors are going to assume it is you that complained.  If you can meet them and see if they are someone you could talk to, you could try that.    If not then you are going to have to go to the landlord

The landlord