Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Should I apply to jobs with my nickname or full name? ?

My name is Erica, but everyone has always called me Ricki. I’m a senior in college and I’m wondering if Ricki sounds too childish for a profession. I’m hesitant because I may be passed over or not taken seriously because of the name. At the same time it would be weird to suddenly go by a name I don’t like very well. I’m a Digital Marketing major if that helps, so it would be in a business setting.  

My friend suggested doing Erica “Ricki” on my resume or having it say Erica but telling people I prefer Ricki. But idk if it’s a good idea to bring it into work at all. 

Thoughts? 

Lolll who the hell use a male nickname as a girl. 

Do you look like Ricki Lake? So why is everybody calling you Ricki if you don't look like her? Are you her fan? Use Erica then tell the interviewer, "Yo man, I go by Ricki!" 

It’s up to you, but personally I would put Erica on your CV (as it looks more formal) and ask the interviewer to call you Ricki if that’s what you go by.

Use Erica on your resume but tell people you go by Ricki. There's no problem with Ricki.

I would apply using your full name, Erica. It sounds more professional. Nicknames IMO are for people who know you well, friends, family and coworkers. If you are offered a job, you can tell your colleagues when you start that you go by Ricki. Plenty of people do that.

• Naomi

Apply using your full name.

You have the right to go by whatever name you wish, provided it's not inappropriate as a name. I would agree with your roommate, on applications and your professional resume/CV use your full name and then let them know you prefer Ricki. 

• Jill

Apply for the job using your legal name. If you get the job you can then tell your co-workers that you prefer to be called Ricki. It's not a big deal. 

• edward

I did that.  My resume, my hospital ID have my real name but only two people call me by that.  Everyone calls me by my nickname.  

When you apply for the job - you should always use your legal name on resumes or applications you might fill out.  If they do any kind of background checks for the application before calling you - they would need your actual, legal name.

I do think that putting your name and then putting your nickname in quotes or parentheses is fine.  I don't think that "Ricki" sounds childish - but I do think that some people might think the applicant is a man instead of a woman if you don't also include "Erica" on the application.

So - I think putting -  Erica (Ricki) Last name - is the best option.  This gives your legal name for paperwork - but also gives your preferred name for general conversation and introductions.