luke asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 4 weeks ago

Should a person lose their business for using racist language ?

many of us heard on the news lately about the man in the Californian restaurant swearing at Asian customers and insulting their culture, while what he did is despicable i still wonder if losing your business is too heavy a price to pay, a fine would be more proportionate to the offense, maybe $5000 or something like that with the money going to the offended party. Losing a business is almost like being fined 100 times that amount which i think is excessive. 

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You make a reasonable point, Luke. Look back to the racial divide in Chicago while Barack Obama was our nation-rescuing leader, when an elderly black Professor was trying to get into his own home, but had forgotten his key, so a white Chicago policeman racially profiled and overreacted, arresting the no-law-breaking homeowner.  How was this handed by the Obama team?  There was a wounds-healing "beer summit," if you recall, where the policeman and the professor were brought to the White House to sort through their differences and apologize before moving on with their lives---each one a bit wiser.  

As a former Psychology/Theater double major in my college days, I tend to look for the underlying feelings being expressed whenever there is an eruption of hate or xenophobia---and there is always some degree of propaganda-generated fear. The key figure in promoting this hate-speak against Asian Americans happens to be a narcissistic sociopath named Donald Trump, who frantically tries to push any personal responsibility or guilt for bad-boy terrible-president misdeeds off onto any convenient scapegoat---in the case of COVID-19, it is wrongly stated by "President" Trump that China is somehow to blame for the more than 3,500,000 U.S. cases and over 135,000 American deaths, ignoring the fact that any COMPETENT leader would have taken steps very early to prevent the virus from becoming a DEADLY PANDEMIC here in the United States.  Trump blames China to cover up his own criminally negligent genocide and utter lack of empathy, and so some gullible frightened people might follow suit.  Suggestion for the California mayor and governor: Have a sit-down between the community's Asians and this restauranteur where they can get to know each other and solve any systemic prejudices.  Rather than lose his business, have a get-to-know-each-other effort that is geared towards overriding the prejudices and opening new understanding or acceptance.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

its called hyper social justice and it stinks

• 4 weeks ago

Sure, if you want to collapse the economy because I'm sure everyone has used racist language in private. 

Get the SJW thought police to monitor people's cell phones to find anything racist.

If they said anything racist, have public struggle sessions like the good liberals you are and then liquidate their businesses.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No, they shouldn't lose their business. 

Nowadays if I say "you're Asian", I am already being accused of racism. 

I don't know this story but there's always the other side.

Plus, the customer is NOT always right. Quite frequently they are entitled asswaffles. 

Source(s): I work in the service industry
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • steve
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Living in the UK I am not aware of the situation, but racism has no place in 2020 and if this is what it takes for people to realise that then so be it.

• 4 weeks ago

It's entirely dependant upon who is the Alleged Perpetrator & which ethnic group they're from.

Racism is endemic amongst immigrant communities but utterly abhorrent in White Society.

This is called ' positive discrimination ' .

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Clearly if you are unable to serve the general public in accordance with the law a change in career is indicated.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Absolutely not.

Ridiculous over reaction.

Why is everything such a drama if there is a race card to play?

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

He has resigned because he accepted his abhorent behaviour was too damaging to the company's reputation for him to remain.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

We all have the right to choose who we do business with.  If a business owner is drunk and abusive in public I can see why investors and customers would consider their position. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.