Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 4 weeks ago

Can you fill a lake with dirt or cement and build something on it?

I am looking to build a baseball field. I have 80 acres but a good portion is a lake/pond area. is it possible to cover it up and build a solid foundation for many years to come with no problems?


If this is possible? what is like the professional term called to do this? I am having difficulty finding anything similar to this on the internet, believe it or not.

16 Answers

  • 1 week ago

    Better check federal and state laws before you try that.  In some states if you have a body of water of a certain size it is NOT your property,   it is considered a public lake.   Also if the feds consider it a wetlands and migratory birds use it then they will probably fine you if you mess with it.   

  • 3 weeks ago

    Sure you can.. Just Like DISNEYLAND IN FLORIDA.. ITS built in a swamp where they hauled millions or tons of rock, dirt and filled things in and made canals to channel the water.

  • y
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    wetlands, I'm not even allowed to cut a tree within 200 feet of a wetland. Better check on your conservation laws before messing with that stuff.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    That is a piece of lowland.  Most people would love to have a lake on their piece of property.

    If it is shallow enough  or dead standing water, then it is a swamp.  There is nothing you can do with it except drain it to a lower spot on your property.  That means ditching. Or $$$ It is a problem you have got to live with. Then multiple truckloads of rock which cost $$

    Name is land reclamation & landscaping

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

    If that lake is spring-fed, then it is not going to be possible to build anything on it, no matter what you fill it with--until you find and divert the spring. If it's fed by a stream or river, same problem--you can't put a foundation on water. Lakes are fed by SOMETHING--or they wouldn't be there. You need a geologist and engineer to determine where the water comes from. 

  • 4 weeks ago

    First you need engineering and I'm not joking A general engineering contractor is a good choice to call on for this .Slot of excavating and maybe importing dirt that's going to be stable A lake will have muck for several feet until you hit clay and even then high clay content is usually removed and replaced with better fill but  the best is native soil that's not too sandy or have high clay content But to get permits you need a plan And this is a engineered deal all the way Since it'll be used for sports or recreation .It must be done to the letter of your local building codes But this isn't like a architect for a add on You want to take marshy area that is full of muck and mud That means lots of excavation and moving of dirt This is an engineering deal and do that first Draw up your plan and.propsal for plan check by city engineers That's why you need to find engineering company's that have done this They will most likely get the engineering right the first time reducing time spent fixing or modifying plans dobe by a company that is not familiar with this type of work THINK SINK HOLES AND SAGGING AREAS .if it's don't incorrectly .But draw up your proposed plan FIRST then submit to the city for plan check then after that it's either adjustments to your plans or your get the go ahead Then it's on and it'll be on for a while I'm sure lots of mud and muck will have to removed Maybe even grade beams installed to stabilize the area Hard to say BUT DO NOT GO FOR PERMITS UNPREPARED IT WILL ONLY COST YOU TIME IF YOUR NOT PROPERLY PREPARED 

  • L
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

    You really check with your local building codes............  One never knows if a lake or pond is from a Natural Stream or not.......................

  • 4 weeks ago

    this is a job for an earthmoving contractor.  yes, it can be done.  no, it isn't cheap

  • 4 weeks ago

    If you have 8 acres, and need to fill the lake to have space for a ball field, you can't find enough dirt of cement to fill the lake. NO, I didn't miss the 0.

    Draining the lake would be where you start.

  • Enigma
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    Wetlands for the most part are federally protected wild life refuges regardless if you own it or not.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.