Should I tell the interviewer about my past/current job?

I was working at a retail company for two years. When Covid struck, I was laid off from my job in mid-March of this year. Well in the past weeks, my job has decided to call me in to continue working for them starting this Thursday. They are starting me off part time but gradually will give me full time later on during this pandemic. The company is not in the best financial state.

I have an interview for another place tomorrow for a full-time job. My question is, if they ask me about my work right now, should I say I am still working at my retail company? If they ask to contact my employer, should I say no?

Tell them the whole story just as you've told us here. You're not doing anything dishonest or illegal.  You'll only look silly if you try to cover it up (WHY, in God's name?) and they somehow find out. They'll think you're sneaky and devious and unreliable.

There is no down-side to telling the truth in this case.

• Edna

Just tell your prospective employer the truth: That you're not working now; that you, along with other co-workers at your previous place of employment, were laid off in mid-March due to the corona virus. That your old employer has recently contacted you and offered you your job back, but you haven't accepted his offer yet and you don't think you want to - that you old employer is only offering to hire you part time.

If your prospective employer wants to contact your previous employer, he won't ask you if he can, he'll just do so. 

Everyone answered spot on. Even All hat and their witty remark. Employers look for people looking to better themselves,helping them along the way. Honesty is the best here.

i would just be honest with them

I always prefer to hire someone I sense is lying to me - 

Best to be transparent with your potential new employer, as it is not uncommon for a job seeker to already be employed when looking for something else in the workforce.

• g

Yes you tell them, even if you say you're working limited hours since they're slowly reopening. Full disclosure. If it comes out later new employer would wonder what you were trying to hide and understandably question your honesty.

Tell them the exact truth, as you always should in any job interview.