Older people - do you like any new music?

Are there any older people out there who are fans of newer music? For example artist like" Ed Sheeran", "Sam Smith", "The Weeknd", " Billie Eilish". Because isn't it true, even though you might of grown up in the 60s or 70s you could still appreciate a good new song when you hear one. I don't believe that music sucks now, like alot of people think, Billie Eilish has a lot of Talent. 

Ed Sheeran is anemic and boring. Billie Eilish is too minimalistic as if she decided to expel the music from her music. Sam Smith and The Weeknd are better. I'm expecting any kind of skill and craftsmanship in a song, be it vocal, composer, lyric, instrumental, or production craft. I'm technically in mid-forties and there is plenty of modern music for my taste from pop ballads to some really heavy stuff.

Depends on how old someone thinks old is (some people think 30 is old).

Entertaining music doesn't know ANY barriers, age included. It would be like me asking "Do any young people like old music/what old people listen to?" There are people of this generation (let's call young 13-25 years old) who like older music (Beatles, Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, B.B. King, Patsy Cline, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, The Clash, Green Day, etc) - great music is timeless (but what is great is subjective/individual taste).

Also depends on what you mean by 'new'. Do you mean 'relevant' and on the charts/radio now? Artists like The Weeknd, Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, etc have been around for about 10 years - some artists are popular now, new to the mainstream audience, but have been around for years - years before they got their first hit.

A lot of your much older people might like different music than what is on the radio - and if they don't know how to find new music that ISN'T on the radio - then they will probably just keep listening to what they know (old stuff). Most of the music that's on the radio now (new), is Pop, Rap, Country and Hip-Hop. If an 'old' person doesn't know about/know how to use Sirius Radio, Spotify, YouTube, or other music streaming services - they won't be able to find new and upcoming artists if they like Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Death Metal and other genres of music you don't find on regular radio. I like mainly Alternative and Hard Rock (some Pop) - if I didn't know how to interact on streaming services, I'd be forced to listen to the one Hard Rock station in my area that plays mainly old stuff - and therefore, that would be all I know. I search and search BECAUSE I want to listen to NEW music, but the new music I like, usually isn't on 'normal' radio. 

I love BLINDING LIGHTS by The Weeknd, but besides that, I'm not crazy about the artists you mentioned - don't hate them/nothing to do with level of their talent - just not the kind of music I usually listen to. 

'New' artists (music produced after 2015) I like: Imagine Dragons, Zayde Wolf, Sam Tinnesz, Bastille, PATD!, Banners, Mountains vs. Machines, Starset, Bad Wolves, the Plot In You (new album), Tom Walker, and a bunch of alternate & hard rock artists that will probably never be on mainstream radio, even though they're new AND talented. But maybe someday they'll be 'new' to everyone else.

• Blah

I know my mom does, she's in her 60s now. She doesn't really follow any artists, but I can attest that she made us listen to Sail by AWOLNATION about 1000 times during a road trip once (figured that was recent enough), and she listens to pop stations. 

Of the music I share with her, she seems to like the upbeat catchy stuff, as well as piano smooth voice, so I'm pretty sure she loves Sam Smith. She was also fully supportive of my One Direction phase lol, and enjoyed their music with me too. 

Edit: Just texted my mom, she says her current favorite pop artists are Lizzo and Powfu

I'm over 60 and have been finding my own music beyond slop radio for more than 4 decades, your 'music' makes me laugh.

Btw, I don't have to go back for Rock n Roll, I got it right here this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5TlS4hn4cc

Youtube thumbnail

I like a lot of new music.  Not a single one of those you mentioned, though.

• Binks

All genres of music are still making new music. It's just because they receive no airplay on pop mainstream music lists is why they're thought not to exist. Pop music of today mainly caters to the under 30 crowd. So to say, rock music will never die as long as there are rockers to make them. To each his / her own.

Honestly, I don’t listen to commercial radio anymore. What I have heard holds little interest, too much whining. The web is good to find artists that appeal to my tastes. Having to dig more but the search is the fun part.

• I'd like to think I'm pretty open minded with fairly eclectic tastes but I really  don't enjoy modern music, mainly because I find it boring, derivative and to be honest the production actually hurts my ears but I've probably felt this way since the late 90's.  Even my kids find Ed Sheeran and Billie Ellish boring and overrated, so it's not just an age thing.

There are a lot of classic rock songs that I have not heard. No time for really new music. 

I like that The Weeknd song, the video has a star wars vibe to it..  Daft Punk did the beats i believe.