How far can i drive my car when it needs an oil change?

driving 400 miles this weekend but my car just became in need of an oil change. there and back will be a total of 800, is that dangerous? i drive a 2014 passat if that helps

Not sure why every time i post a question there are people being smartasses. im looking for help, not to waste my or your time, thanks!

• F

+/- 1000 miles or a month from the recommended intervals is ok. I had a couple of Passats, I think it’s 12000 or a year.

What does your owner's manual say? Here's the thing about oil. The 3,000 mile oil change is out and has been for over 30 years! No owner's manual will tell you to change oil every 3,000 miles! But places that change oil will not tell you that because it's bad business for them. Oils over the last 40 years have changed dramatically to the point that some will go as far as 100,000 miles before change. How do you tell if your oil needs changing? First look at the dipstick. Does it look amber or coal black? If it looks like black molasses and smell slightly burnt, change it. But if it looks amber and slightly clear, put some between your finger and thumb and feel if it is slick and kind of slimy. If it is, the oil is still doing it's job and can go much farther before needing changing. Your manual tells you when to change it. That's what the manual is for!

Source(s): Chrysler Master Tech and advisor. Retired.
  • CB

No problem just check the oil level before you leave on your trip and top up if needed - some people never check the oil between changes and that can be a real killer of engines (lack of oil) if car is using oil.   Oil change intervals are calculated on time and/or mileage but very conservative estimates. (idiots changing every 3k miles are just wasting money). 

Yeah - help for the helpless.

It depends on what you mean by 'needs an oil change'.

I generally change my oil/filter every 5K - and I use synthetic blend.  A lot of people suggest 3K, even when using full synthetic, but that is just way too often (especially for full synthetic).

If you just hit the 3K mark, then I would drive the 800 miles without even thinking about it (after checking to make sure it isn't low).  If you are in excess of 5K, I would definitely suggest changing the oil before your trip.

If I were to use full-synthetic, I would most likely go 10K between oil changes - and at the 5K mark I would change the filter and top it off, however it depends a lot on the particular vehicle, how many miles are on it, and your driving habits.

Someone who drives their car like it is stolen, and puts mostly 'in town miles' on it should definitely change their oil/filter more often than someone who drives conservatively and/or mostly drives on the highway.

It took almost as long to post the question as it will take to change the oil. You can probably have it changed on the way without even being late reaching your destination.

The answers you received so far are not 'smartass' answers.

You're supposed to be checking your oil level every 1,000 miles between oil changes and top up the oil to the upper dipstick mark. if you haven't been doing this you're no doubt driving with not enough oil in the motor and doing damage to it. 800 miles is too many miles to drive if you have more then 3,000 miles on the car since your last oil change. It take 20 minutes to stop at a fast oil change shop to get your oil changed. I'll wager you blow it off like most other dumb people.

• Ron

You do know that you can change the oil BEFORE the reminder pops up

• GA41

There is no problem driving your car 800 miles beyond the normal oil change interval.  I would not hesitate to take the trip.

The important thing is that you have not lost oil level.  If the oil level is low, you can add oil to bring it to the proper level.

This is especially true if the car is on synthetic oil.  You can put a whole lot of miles on synthetic oil.

just get an oil change first