When I get an email that I have an anonymous answer to a question, it reveals the answerers avatar including avatar name, did you know this?

Did you know Yahoo does this? you may not be as anonymous as you think!

• Favourite answer

That has been known for years.   I told almost all the people here about that at least 6 years ago.  Now they have the +Ask they can not see it if you do it right.

• EXZTNZ

This is a huge breach of privacy. I wonder if people have sued/are going to sue them for violating their rights? Even a kindergartner would know sending emails about someone answering your question will reveal the identity of an answerer. If the Yahoo team had any common sense or competence they'd have mitigated it long ago. Apparently it's been going for over 6 years?! Just crazy.

It must be nice to get emails from YA, because I never get any?

If the asker of the question knows who I am, I'm good with that- but everyone else knowing just increases the odds of being reported. Some around here just target an avatar for seemingly random reasons.

I didn't know that, but then that doesn't matter a bit to me. I've never used the anonymous feature, to either ask or answer questions.

I did not know this but it doesn't bother me.  I do stand by what I say.  I use anon because I'm weirdly fond of this place but have had enough of being systematically stalked and all my answers reported (only happens when non-anon).  I only have one profile which I've had for a long time.  If I were banned due to all the reporting I wouldn't make another profile.  I know there are people on here who pass around email addresses to contest malicious reporting since there's no notification anymore and obsessively screenshoot everything, but I have a life, a job, stuff to do.  I'd really miss it more than I'd care to admit if my profile got zapped but this isn't my life, you know? 

I always assume that the net is less private than it seems at first glance.  There have been occasional glitches where my username has been replaced by the email attached to the account EVEN WHEN SIGNED OUT.  It's lucky I've not used that account for anything serious since the early 2000s.  There's a reason why I have an internet spelling of my name and an internet birthday for anything but official business.

yes, when i used to get emails like that that would happen to me too, but i havent gotten those emails in yrs

• sam

I never check my emails, just look at the notifications tab. Maybe that's why I havent seen the answerers name etc.

I never assume anything on the internet is anonymous.

• Yahoo! is doing that because it feels sorry for you.

• D-Girl

Yes, I have that ability, as well, but evidently not everyone does.  

I am not scared of you. Come at me.