What is the difference between first registered and first registered with DVLA?

Ok, so I'm buying a Starlet on Friday 17th of July 2020 to replace my Celica as a daily driver. Low miles, cheap everything and good history, but wondered what this meant on the UK GOV website, I see a date of first registered(August 1998) , and a date of first registered with DVLA(February 2009). 

The car isn't an import but has 1 platechange in a history check I did, would that be the cause? I'm not worried, I'm just curious about what it means.

Also it's given me the previous number plate which was in December 2018 when it was changed so couldn't be that

• Neil

Was the car first registered in Northern Ireland? NI had its own registration office, the DVLNI unitl 2007, then DVA until 2014. That would explain why it wasn't imported (was already in UK), but not registered with DVLA.

If the previous plate was of the NI format (three letters, with the second or third being an 'I' or 'Z', followed by up to four numbers) that would be a giveaway. The fact that the number change didn't happen at the same time is irrelevant, as there is no need to change a number when moving a vehicle between NI and GB.

• May

Ok so.

The difference may be that it was first registered somewhere other than at the DVLA then later at the DVLA.   Ok so.

Another "OK SO'er".................with not a clue