Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 4 weeks ago

"I would look similar to before." Is this sentence correct? ?

No, it's not.  "Similar to" has to be followed by a noun or a pronoun.

"I would look similar to the WAY I looked before."

In that sentence, "before" is a dangling preposition, so it's not technically grammatically correct, though people would understand what it means. A more correct way to say that would be "I would look similar to the way I did before." (Here, "before" modifies "the way," so it isn't left dangling.)

"I would look similar to before."

"I would look similar to an earlier photo."

not without a context implying a condition.  "would" is a conditional verb that means "in the specific situation but not for all situations".  You do not always have to openly state the condition if the situation has made the condition obviously the object of the discussion, but there has to be a condition in order to use a conditional verb form.

• sam

It's the way people talk, however it's not the most grammatical sentence. As it currently stands, it sounds like you're saying you are similar to a person called before.

I would look similar to the way I was before.- this is clear and correct, but not really the way people talk.

It's as correct as a corpuscle.

• martin

This is a good sentence because it incorporates a common way of expression.