Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 3 weeks ago

question about pin point pupils?

i will not at this time go into all of the details, there isnt enough space in this format but....my pupils since i have sunburned them on May 25 have been extremely small. I dont take opiods, i havent been exposed to pesticides, i do take blood pressure meds(lisiniprol/hydrochlorothiazide-20/12.5) and omeporzole proair and symbicourt. I am a 43 year old female and i weigh 245 pounds. I am not diabetic. 

i went to the eye dr on the 26th. He said i would be fine, i had a mild scratch on cornea of left eye from the sun burn. He told me not to curtail any of my activities and my eyes would go back to normal. Use refresh drops. i did. Eyes were extremely dry feeling, and pupils stupid small(i look like i have snake eyes) but vision was fine. two and half weeks ago, i started not being able to read up close. i went back to eye dr. he said i am far sighted. He also said i have photo keratitis and that will go away on its own. will it? lol. Right now my pupils are still small. i have alot of questions obviously but for the purposes of this format, if i go outside to drive in the sun, or on a hike with husband in mountains(with dark glasses on obviously )when my pupils of eyes are this small does that mean they are more vulnerable for another sunburn.  Should i just stay indoors the rest of the summer?what would you do? 

Your small pupils are actually a benefit in the sun. Remember light makes your pupils get smaller. If you pupils were dilated, we would worry about the safety of your eyes in the sunlight. Here, we worry more about the quality of your vision in low light. Small pupils also give you increased depth of field due to the pinhole effect. If your pupils were normal size, you would have even more difficulty reading. Pupils tend to get smaller as we age. There are ways to dilate your pupils. There are a number of prescription drops that will do it. There used to be OTC eye drops that contained low percentages of phenylephrine. This is one of the drops that we use in the office to dilate eyes. It has gotten absurdly expensive in the form that we use it and apparently is no longer available over the counter. It is available in a nasal spray. Using it in your nose may have some effect on your eyes. Your small pupils protect your retina but they do not protect your cornea where your problems seem to occur. A hat and sunglasses are probably a good idea.