If a person falsely accuses someone of a crime such as rape should the accuser face punishment?

A couple friends and I were talking about this because one of my friends saw a video of a man being freed from prison after a women lied about him raping her. He then looked up what happened afterwards and the man sued the woman but besides that nothing happened. Should men or women who falsely accuse someone of a crime at that level be charged with some sort of crime and be punished? Our answer was yes but only if the person claims it was somebody and then eventually be proved that the accuser was lying. Because there are times when the wrong person is arrested because of a messed up investigation. wanted some more opinions.

If is illegal to falsely report a crime and is someone does they can be prosecuted.

This IS NOT legal advice.

I believe that if someone makes an accusation they know to be false, they should face the same consequences the accused would face if convicted.

Note: An actual crime victim that is legitimately mistake about who committed the crime is not the same as someone knowingly making a false accusation.

• SW-6

Absolutely.  You have ruined a life, burdened society same as a criminal, so yes ,you need to be punished.  If nothing else it will make the next false accuser think twice about breaking the law.  

If they testified in court, it's perjury.  Filing a false report is also a crime.  

There are two options - the Police can ask the DA to charge the person with the filing of a false Police Report (felony in my State) and/or the injured party can file a lawsuit for damages.

I work in the legal system.  I do not agree that at times the wrong person is arrested because of a messed up investigation.  I see false Police Reports, no witnesses, an investigation.  If a "messed up investigation" causes the guilty verdict, yes, the investigators can be sued for what SPECIFIC errors were made.

I've seen jail terms and fines for people who lie.

• Maxi

Perjury is a crime and of course civilly suing is also an option which I would recommend the person accused NAMED, charged and sentenced should investigate....... the one who falsely accused them and lied about it should face the full force of the law..........however I also think that naming the accused should be stopped, the law states " innocent until proven guilty" so how can they name the person when they get trial by media?

Perjury has been a crime for a long time. In some cases the statute of limitations comes into play and not charges can be filed. There is always the possibility of civil suit because the clock does not start until the "loss" is discovered.

The Bible says that a person who makes a false accusation should face whatever punishment the wrongly accused could have gotten. So if you accuse someone of murder, and that person is innocent, you get the death penalty. You accuse someone of stealing, and he's innocent, you pay the restitution.

Yes.  And the punishment should carry the same sentence as the crime which was falsely reported.  It's only fair.

While this kind of law sounds good in theory in practice it actually can be used to suppress real victims from coming forward.