Is it a good idea to find a new job this year?

Hey, so I’m 26 and I currently work in a small restaurant as a waitress (technically I am a supervisor but not much has changed from being waitress to supervisor). I’ve been here since October 2018 and I’m desperate to quit and find something more fulfilling because I feel like I’ve outgrown this place, I am not learning anything new and idk at my age I feel like I shouldn’t be just a waitress.

I planned to leave and get a new job this year, but obviously Covid-19 happened and I had to put that thought in the back of my mind. I’m now back at work after being on furlough for the past 4 months and I’m back to feeling absolutely miserable here and it’s only been 5 days since I started work. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m thankful I didn’t lose my job during the pandemic but nevertheless, I really don’t know how much longer I can stay here. 

I’ve been looking at design jobs which is what I really want to pursue in life (putting my graphic design degree to good use)! and I found a junior design role and I don’t know if I should apply? Or should I stick with this job for the rest of this year? 

By the way, it’s just me at the front of house. I used to work with another guy but he quit and I don’t think my bosses are hiring anyone to help me and for some reason, I would feel bad if I eventually left this job and I don’t know why. I have this weird guilt for actually wanting to do something better with my life. 

Any advice? 

• n2mama

Why not apply and see what happens? You don’t have to make a decision about your current job until you get an offer from the new job, so there’s not reason not to at least give it a try and see what happens. Rest assured, your employer would not have a sense of loyalty to you if they needed to cut your position to save money, you should not have guilt towards them if the design position works out. Just give them appropriate notice if it does move forward.

wow, I am like in the SAME boat as you, Only I am 41 and Have worked at the same retail store for like 10 years, YES I am looking for a new job, Same thing, have a shift manager title, but still do a lot of the same things PLUS being a cashier and sales associate.

I actully had  a place call me back about a month ago about an application I put in last february, Can u believe it??  Unfortunalty my dad fell and broke his leg so i am helping my mom take care of him. i asked the person at the other store if I cold get back to her, she said absoulutly.  So i just might do that later this month.

here's the deal, this coronavirus deal, although it is serious, It is Political and mostly to get Trump out of office.

Keep applying at other places, God bless

It is always a good time to be looking.  Many will say it's a bad time to find a job, but that's only true in certain industries.  Offices generally haven't shut down but gone remote.  Many (a lot actually) are still hiring depending on the industry.  Their sales are strong.  The stock market has bounced back incredibly.  

Absolutely apply and absolutely go to an interview if you get one.  Fight for the job like you always would.  In your list of questions, ask them about how their business has been doing, if they've had layoffs, and how stable they feel everything is.  Unless they make it sound like they're barely holding on, then I would pursue my dream while all the scared individuals continue to bus tables while being thankful for what they have.  (Even if they could have something better but are too afraid to try.)

Probably the worst time in history for another job.

Well just get another job also money is tight right now so a lot of places aren’t hiring until this virus gets under control

• RP

Remember the phrase, "most of all to your own self be true." Follow that principle.

just make-sure it's a sure thing before you quit the old job, get it in writing..................