Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Slow Tire Leak?

I noticed a right back tire is leaking air slowly.  It was 23psi so I added to 33psi.  Only a couple weeks later I got tire pressure alert and it went down 24psi again.  The problem seems like a leaking valve stem core.  So I made soapy water and tested but no bubbles.  I don't see any nails on the tire, too.  So my question is if I take to the tire shop and repair it, how much it will cost me? 

There's no way to tell what it might cost. The tire may have cracks or fissures you can't see. The valve stem may or may NOT be the cause. The rim may be bent or otherwise compromised. You can't tell what the reason is until you take it to a tire shop or mechanic and have them look at the wheel to find out. They usually give you estimates of cost for free--so why not just do that? 

Take the wheel it off and do the soapy water (or just water) trick on the whole tire or put it in a bathtub.

It almost certainly has a puncture - they can be hard to see if the nail/screw/etc. was fairly small and the head has worn off from being driven.

If you locate it, get a puncture repair kit - preferably the t-handle style.  I've fixed dozens of punctures over the years and never had a problem.

If you still can't find it, call and get some quotes.  If the tire is worn they will most likely try to sell you a replacement though (although that may be the solution).

To reseal a rim leak and balance the tire figure around $25.

Suck it up. You pay what they charge.

.If tire tread is too thin.  You are way past BALD, then the air leaks out of the tire itself.

You can ask first off How much is it. If they have to sell you a new tire it could be a couple hundred.  Or it could be free. Or there is a sign, minimum charge is xx$

. The cost of owning a car.

• Ron

It will cost you exactly how much they charge you, including any taxes

• Jay P

Not every single tire shop in the world charges exactly the same price.  Call around to some local places and ask them yourself...

The cost depends on the tire type/size and the wheel it is mounted on. Prices also vary from place to place and we have no idea where you are because we aren't mind readers. Not enough information. Try again or do what a rational intelligent adult would do and make some phone calls to local tire shops. 

It could be that the tyre bead is not sealing against the rim. 

As the tyre has to come off to sort that out, it will be foolish not to replace the valve at the same time as they cost peanuts (assuming it’s not a TPMS valve). 

Bead seals can leak if there’s a bit of trapped debris between the tyre bead and the rim, or if the rubber has hardened with age (if that’s the cause, it also won’t grip the road well). The most common causes are rim damage or corrosion. 

For minor defects just refitting the tyre slightly rotated onto the rim can fix it. Corrosion can be buffed off and if necessary tyre shops can use bead sealant to sort out minor problems.

• Erik

It's probably the valve stem, they will charge you a few dollars to replace it.  If you go to a place that sells used tires, it will be cheaper and much faster than at a chain.

$5 - $10   Should not be much compared to the time spent filling it up every couple of weeks.  

Of course if your tires are worn, the tire shop will try to sell you a whole new set.