My HP 360 laptop shell cracked at the hinge what would repairs be about?

I called one place and was priced at $135hr plus $35 every 15min after, and that didn't include repair and cost. That seemed like WAY too much.

So are there reasonable repair costs or should I just get tap to prevent further damage? 

The crack is about 1" 

I paid at least that much in repairs due to the crack, but later on the hinge on that side failed  (just after the 2 year warranty.  Second one, same problem and also speaker fail.  Sound works only with earphones.  I put it on a closet shelf and I'm leaving it open so my grandson can play on it.  Otherwise it's junk.  I just bought a 17" newer model and it looks like China has made an attempt to reinforce the faceplate, but time will tell.  I swore off HP, but supply is very limited due to COVID, and the crap comes from China.  They have us by the pubes.  

• Lv 7

that seems awful high, but if they are the only repair shop in the area, then that is why. it is all about supply and demand.

if they AREN'T the only shop, i would definitely pick another. never hurts to get a second opinion. our shop here charges $50 just to look at a computer, not including actually fixing it.

Had a problem like that once.  Found the same model on eBay.  It was a junker sold for parts but the case was fine.  I just swapped out the guts and got another several years out of the computer. 

There are many models of that "HP 360 laptop" over the years.  Exact model number might get you a complete shell replacement to swap out for the cracked one.  Doing that work is troublesome. You might find a YouTube video how to from a Google search.  

But a small crack can be reinforced with some heavy tape.  Don't put any glue into the crack unless you are an expert at keeping excess from running down inside and making a serious mess.

Source(s): Electronics manufacturing engineer. I replaced the motherboard a Lenovo laptop after the video failed 3 years on. Now I actively cool it with a nice USB power fan for heat extraction extraction. The box is $15 on Ebay from China, very effective. Even my iMac benefits.

IF.....if you can leave that laptop in a stationary place and not open and close it- it may last a lifetime. But if you move it around at all and open and close it often- then you need to get it fixed or get another laptop. Moving it will stress the crack and make it worse. Probably the hinge is frozen up and that may be what cracked the case.

I have an old Dell vostro with broken hinges- I leave it open and set up all the time, never move it. I have been using it 3 or more years. If I had to move it around and operate the hinges- it would have died long ago.

a small, local shop will likely be cheaper.  He [most likely] will look at the damage and guess instantly how long it will take to do the required work.  And there won't be any $135 flat charge for the first 0 to 60 minutes ... [that charge covers figuring out what to do ... in your case, that's already known]  -- grampa