ctb asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 4 weeks ago

I have stopped eating meat for a week now I feel faint and sick is this because of not eating meat?

Excuse the  expression, but you tried to go cold turkey. At first it can seem as if you're ill as you don't get the essential vitamins. Try using Zinc tablets or A-Z multi vitamins. I'm vegetarian and have been for 26 years.

maybe your anemic? or more sensitive than others when not eating iron. I would never advise for a vegan or vegetarian diet at all. This diet keeps proving that this is not right for humans at all. Ever question why there are so many ex vegans or ex vegetarians lately? answer is they felt like **** but thought the longer they went on this diet they will get better and they never did they got worse. 

Source(s): a group of ex vegans exposing the truth about veganism.

It depends on what else you were eating, if you just stopped eating meat and didn't replace it with an alternative then yes you would be feeling faint  and sick. I stopped eating meat for 8 months and was fine. But you are not me, and I am not you, so it may not affect us the same way

It could be your body adapting to it, and/or you’re not getting enough protein 

yes low iron levels can make this happen

• denise

Its probably because you've done it too quickly,  If you introduce vegetarian meals more gradually, like maybe every other day, alternate veggie meals with meat meals.

Then eat less meat meals per week until you're only eating vegetarian, and your body has been able to adapt.

I very seriously doubt that stopping the eating of meat has anything to do with how you're feeling. If you're not eating foods that are not only good sources of protein, but also fats, then you could be under eating the needed calories. Which after a few days can cause a general sense or feeling of being fatigued and sick. You should look at what you're eating, and see not only how many calories you're getting, but to also make sure that you're also meeting the daily needs in the essential micronutrients. As far as deficiencies goes, many can take a few months to appear, due to the body's ability to store them. As for protein, there's plenty of plant based foods that can more than adequately supply what you need.

You need to go back to eating meat. If giving up meat is what made you sick to begin with, that proves that veganism is not healthy. Don't listen to the militant vegans who lie, and who also blame the victim, when they cause someone else to get sick through deception.

• Daisy

More likely because you are not eating enough calories.

Veg foods,grains, veggies, etc, are bulky and tend to fill you up quickly. But they are also low in calories and your body needs calories to function. You need to eat a lot more veggies than usual to replace the meat you're used to eating.

Find an online calorie counting site and track your calorie intake.

If you were eating a normal, balanced diet I doubt any actual deficiencies would show up so soon.

• kswck2

Just a week shouldn't matter-probably more psychosomatic.  After 3 or 4 weeks, you might though. 

However, you should be supplementing your diet with some other sort of protein.