Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 4 weeks ago

Why are the winds still out of the north  when the next cells are moving in from the southwest?

I had thunderstorms clusters moving in from the southwest  to my north.  I saw low clouds moving in from the north while at the same time low clouds were moving in from the south.  It looked like the clouds were swirling  when it was overhead, the winds were 35 mph in gusts from the north. I then saw a dark patches of clouds moving in from the south at the  same time as it was from the north, it was like that dark cloud wasn't even making it to me but was moving from the south.  It was very confusing. The next cells were about to move in from the southwest.  On the radar it was light green, dark green, and yellow and orange  . That eventually  moved in but why were the winds still out of the north but more of a gentle  breeze? The red core in that cluster was to my northwest. Eventually the winds were northwest. Do downdrafts come from the strongest cell and dominate the other ones?

The clouds moving in from the southwest are in the troposphere at a lower elevation than the clouds moving in from the north. That are in the jet stream in stratosphere at a much higher elevation.