Connecting old WLAN G cards/adapters to modern Internet routers. How to achieve this.?

Hi all. I have two old Asus WLAN G adapters. One for a desktop and the other for a laptop. I'd like to get them connected to my modern Internet model as follows.

TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub Sagemcom FAST 5364

I know support for these is outdated. The adapter for the desktop I'm having trouble with most as it's a Windows 7 machine. The laptop wlan card though will be going into a Windows xp laptop so would I have more success there? Or is it due to the modern router that's blocking them both. This is New territory for me. There must be a way in this day and age to alter settings on the computers to make the devices compatible and connect to my router?

I don't know much about the meaning of the letters but the adapters both state g/b and a friend's USB wlan adapter states N and that can connect to my Windows 7 machine no problem. Surely there must be a way to connecting these older adapters successfully too.

Any thoughts or step by step guide help would be greatly appreciated.

• Lv 7

you need to use a router that is backwards compatible with Wireless G (most are not). and you need to set it up to work with G in its settings.

btw, in order from oldest to newest:

Wireless a, b, g, n, ac

• BigE

So I would not do this.  Most wifi routers will downgrade to the lowest speed wifi, so if you allow g mode, things will run at g speed.  The levels are a/b/g/n/ac, slowest and most recent to fastest and newest.

Most routers have options to disallow outmoded wifi protocols.  I'd assume N would be the lowest supported now.  Get on your router, take a look around.

But I think it is not worth the frustration and just buy 2 usb/wifi ac adapters.

• David

Initially connect up the computers via an ethernet cable connect up the adapters and see if windows can automatically find drivers, if not go to the Asus website and see if you can find windows 7 drivers and windows XP drivers in the archives. If they are wireless B/G they should still be compatible with your router as long as the router is in legacy B/G/N mode, if the router only supports N mode your are out of luck.

HTH