Does whine really improve creativity when writting?

I've heard many writers then to drink whine when they want to write stories. Does it really help them?

• Prince

Whine can really help when you are writing schmaltz. Quality of ingredients and all that determining quality of result. 

I hear lots of people whine all the time.

I am a freelance writer/librarian and a non-drinker.

I wouldn't suggest it, however, when I was a writer/librarian in Spartanburg, South Carolina I met a friend of the late Pat Conroy. He told me, "Now Diane, I was a sailor and you know how they say sailors drink.....it's true, but Pat could drink me under the table."

I asked what he drank. He said, "Oh he drank that cheap stuff, Seagrams (crown whiskey?)

He said even when he was working on books sometimes he's spot Pat on the shore/beach writing incognito and drinking. I am published in many genres. However, the most I have is an occasional part of a wine cooler. If one is pre-dispositioned and has alcoholic illness in their family, I definitely wouldn't go that route.

I do know many good writers who don't drink or participate in any kind of drugs but it could have some truth to it.

• Dj2541

As  you  cant  spell  "Wine"  and "Writing"  I  very  much  doubt your  own  creative  writing skill  set?  So in  your  case  some  "wine"  may  make it a bit  easier  to get  your  juices  flowing, so then  you  can "write" and   "whine"  about  something?

I hear others do moan.

• j153e

Possibly helped the writer of "Moby Dick" turn water into whine.

Writting is always assisted by whining.

Whine or Wine? As a writer you're not being very clear. 

I've tried writing while tipsy a few times. I can't say I noticed any difference when reading through the results afterwards. If I drink more, to the point where I can tell that I'm drunk, my fingers won't go where I want, and I waste more time fixing typos than I do writing. So now I don't bother.

If you want to improve creativity, there are other ways to do it, that don't involve risking your health.

Wine, not whine. Although I sometimes whine when writing first drafts, because it's hard work.

Alcohol dulls the mind and senses. All depending on how much you drink, your reaction time will slow and your ability to think clearly is impaired.

Now, do I think one glass of wine will affect your writing abilities negatively? No, I don't, and it might even be relaxing to have a glass of wine while writing, just like a nice cup of tea.

Do I think that authors write better while tipsy or drunk? No I don't, but I do think some believe that, and that this belief alone, not the wine, or the whisky, or the two lines of heroin, can influence creativity.

But what is the price for this? That you feel that you have to drink in order to write?

My advice is to work on your creative mindset instead, think of writing as you would any other job, hone your skills, and stay away from the wine. It's fine to have a drink once in a while, but when you start drinking because you feel you can't perform without it, whether it's writing, going to a business meeting, go on a date, go on stage or whatever, then it becomes a crutch that will lead you down a potentially dangerous slippery slope.