Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Dress ruined by hair dresser... Shall I address the issue?

Yesterday I got my hair roots bleached. Unfortunately, my dark dress got ruined. I noticed two orange spots in the hip area. I thought I can fix it with some fabric spray. But today when I folded my dress I noticed another orange spot in the neck area in the back around 8 inches. It is not a crazy expensive dress, but it was pretty new and $40 worth. Shall I contact the hair stylist or just forget. I know accidents happen...but in the meantime, she totally knew she ruined the dress and even did not address it. 

I did not notice the bleach stain because I have no eyes on my back. Yes, the stylist noticed, because it is 8'' large, bright orange in the neck area in the back. It could appear only if she didn't cover me appropriately with a plastic cape.

I did dress appropriately. I do not have old trashy clothes in my closet. 

• drip

I would address with the owner that the stylist knew it happened and they did it and never said a peep to you about it.  Then discuss that it happened. They are responsible to cover you correctly 

I would call ASAP.  

Doesn’t matter what you wore. Plenty of women are coming for work and have on decent clothes. 

Consider having a conversation with the hairdresser and asking their advice in regards to removing the stain.  Alternatively, go to a Dry Cleaner and see what can be done.  If you truly believe you received less than professional service, decide if wish to make a consumer complaint.

You got long hair bleached and you didn't expect bleach to rub off?  Did you wash your hair extensively before wearing the dress?  I've ruined so many clothes by including bleach when I wash them in the washing machine that I've learned: anything with bleach will ruin anything it touches.

you can try talking to them about it

That's up to you. If you contact the stylist or salon, you need to know in advance exactly what you want to happen.  Do you want the cost of the dress reimbursed or some percentage? A quality salon should be willing to "make good" in some way, but they should also have provided you with a gown and drape.

Do you have a copy of the receipt for the dress?  Do you have any proof (not saying you are incorrect, but proof is needed) that the damage was done by the salon and not before? How far are you willing to take this?  Most stylists and salons have gowns and a changing area where a client can choose to remove their top to ensure no products get on their clothes.  Was this an option that you didn't take or do they not supply this?  Where you given a drape to cover your clothing? If neither were offered to you, why did you book an appointment with this stylist or continue with the appointment? I can't imagine even getting a trim without a drop or any chemical process without a gown and drape.I probably don't need to suggest this, but it is time for you to find a new stylist that knows how to take the appropriate precautions.  

How do you know she "totally knew she ruined the dress"? YOU didn't notice; what makes you think she must have noticed? It's possible the bleached spots, if that's what they are, didn't show up right away. You were there just as much as she was, right?

And YOU were the one who chose to put on a dark dress KNOWING you were going to be having your hair bleached. Dear oh dear, has the world's supply of common sense been used up all of a sudden?

Sorry if I sound unsympathetic. But I suppose I AM!

EDIT TO ADD: Nobody is saying you should wear trashy old clothes to the hairdresser. We're just saying that a new dress, in a colour that would show bleach, was not a sensible choice for this particular visit.

If you think the damage was intentional, absolutely.  If not, you assumed the risk when you chose to wear it for that type of hair treatment.

Forget about it. Next time wear something you wouldn’t mind getting stained. The stylist probably didn’t even notice the spots. 

I always wear an old t shirt and sweat pants when I go to get my hair done. Then I don't have to worry 

File a lawsuit against them for destruction of property.