black specs coming out of window air condtioner ?

I noticed today where the panels are black specs are coming out of the ac upon further inspection when I shined a flash light inside I noticed a lot of black specs. what causes that and is it dangerous to breath that in .

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

I think it is better to consult with an expert on that field because it might be dangerous or if you would do it yourself might harm the AC and harm you.

• 3 weeks ago

That would be mould, get a professional to give it a major clean out, if it is old look at getting a new one.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

One possibility:  most window units have a thin foam filter immediately behind the grill front.  That needs to be removed and cleaned regularly - and the materials is somewhat fragile and deteriorates with age, scattering foam bits out.

• 4 weeks ago

take the panel off and clean under there.  end of problem

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The black specs probably belong to either Roy Orbison, Stevie Wonder or the Blues Brothers. Contact the American Musicians Union for details on how you can return them to their rightful owners.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

That is mold and dirt. You need to pull the AC and clean the coils and fans with a pressure washer (fan setting on the nozzle) and soap.  A garden hose will work too if you do not have a pressure washer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-ndtDUyZM

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.