Should my airbags have deployed?

I was in an accident yesterday and damaged my car as shown in the pictures. I was going around 30-35 mph when the collision occurred. Should my airbags have gone off? If so, is there something I could do to argue this malfunction w/ nissan? I have a 2016 Nissan Sentra SV

Pictures of my car: 

https://imgur.com/a/eAJKlMU

Thank you in advance for any information.

• Neil

Did you die? If so, maybe your dependents could sue. But if you survived, then maybe the car's electronics made the right decision not to fire the airbags.

The sensing system in the car will have detected the severity of the impact on the passenger cell (not on the front wheel), and determined whether the airbags needed to be fired or not. Because that impact essentially glanced the side of the car and missed the main structure (note the windscreen is undamaged, as is the front longitudinal running inboard of the wheel from bumper to cabin floor), the cabin must have slowed more slowly than the airbag trigger point. It isn't the speed in mph at the point of impact that triggers the airbag, but the rate of deceleration - how quickly the car slows from the impact speed to a stop.

There are good reasons not to fire airbags in less severe impacts, such as avoiding an airbag in front of you blocking your vision if a wheel hits a deep pothole, or avoiding airbag replacement costs in a minor parking incident, or avoiding unnecessary facial burns from the bag against your skin.

Front airbags don't go off on that type of crash. 

That was a side impact that most of the energy from the hit just tore off the fender. A more direct head on hit would have triggered the air bags. Looks to me as if you should find another car rather then waste your money and time trying to sue Nissan!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

maybe you should get it checked out, it might be broken