Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 4 weeks ago

Engagement ring lie- what do I do??

Okay so my best friend tends to copy a lot of things that I do and I honestly can’t stand it. My bf of 10 years proposed in November and got my ring from a small jewelry shop in our hometown and I am obsessed! She asked where he got the ring and I panicked and lied and told her it was from zales so that there was no risk of copying. Well for whatever reason now she is super interested in the jewelry store that my fiancé went to and she has no clue my ring is from there!!! I really don’t want her to get hers from there either, but I also don’t know how to tell her I lied. What do I do? Do I tell her the truth or do I let it go and let her think mine is from zales forever??? Ugh

Sounds to me like you don't really like this friend very much. You can tell her or not tell her the ring's true provenance. But maybe it's time to take stock on whether this is someone you really need in your life. 

• sarah

"told her it was from Zales so that there was no risk of copying."

You know Zales doesn't discontinue a ring just because somebody bought it, right? Even if they don't have any more of that same ring in the local store, that doesn't mean it's not still online or in a store an hour away. Unless you have your ring designed from scratch, someone, somewhere is very likely to always have the same one.

Honestly, I would have told your friend the truth. If it bugs you that she copies you, tell her that and ask her to please not buy the same ring (although it's her/her fiance's money, so you don't really have much of a say). If you really don't feel like you can talk to her about this, maybe "best friend" isn't the best thing to call her.

And I'd be willing to bet that the store your ring came from has many more choices than just your ring. Just because she might go to the same store doesn't guarantee that she's gonna pick the same ring.

Good luck when it comes time to name your kids...I feel like you'll need it, lol.

• Ocimom

Who cares where you get your rings.  If you like your ring, fine.  Even if she finds a similar one at the store you went to, it really doesn't matter much.  Unless she brings up the "where did you get the ring?" again, just let it go.

such a stupid petty small insignificant problem...

• Trish

You should tell her the truth and apologize for lying...but only because it's  the right thing to do.  As for her copying you just ask her please not get the same ring as you.

Why does it matter if she likes the same ring or goes to the same jewelry store. Your ring has its own sentimental value and her's can too. I personally wouldn't bring up the lie now, especially before she is about to get her ring.

Why does it matter? She's surely not going to get the same ring; and you don't hold the rights to it anyway. 

• drip

Well if she asked again tell her you were wrong your Fiancé  got it from XX store.  

You really need to rethink your friendship with this person. If you don’t like her coping you and it upsets you so much why be friends with her. You are freaking out that she went to the same jewelry store . That is not normal.

She's your 'best friend.'

She copies you.

And when you tell her your ring came from Zales, she goes to a different jewelry store to look  for a ring.

I think the woman who has a problem is the one whose supposed friend lies to her.

• Tj

Forget it.  You could ave just said you did not know or care where it came from.