Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

can cats live in two houses?

parents recently divorced and i want to take my cat with me when i switch houses. will it negatively effect him?

You're cat could come with you, but he might be sad or depressed in a new house. Try not to bring him back and forth between houses though, that would confuse and depress him

yes put the front half in one house and the back half in the other house.. you may need a knife

How often would it go back and forth?  Cats are pretty adaptable as long as you have all the things he needs at the same house.  Even better, identical things so it's less confusing.  IE, a nice tall cat tree for a window that's at both homes.  The same food at both homes.  Similar litter boxes, litter and bowls at both homes.

I was dating a guy and if I spent the weekend down at his place I'd bring one of my cats with me.  They always enjoyed it because it was a new place to explore.  Your cat will also be happier if it's with you in both places as well.

But aren't you a child?  This isn't your cat.  Children can't legally own things.  So are your PARENTS OK with you taking the cat back and forth?  Did the one that moved out move to a place that allows cats?  Did they get another pet like an aggressive dog that could hurt it?

• Ocimom

Best to keep the cat at one house - the one you spend most of the time in.  Cats normally do not like moving a lot and it may stress your cat out more then you.

A tip is to dip its paws in butter, and then it spends the whole time licking it and quickly adjusts. 

i dont see why not

Occasionally cats cope well with changing locations. Most do not.

It is normal for a cat to take a week - 10 days to settle into a new location. This may be ok if you change every 6 months. It won't work if you change every week.

If you change every week, it is best that the family pet stays at one home. Perhaps you could ask the other parent for a family pet at their home as well. Then you get to love 2 pets.

Cats like familiar surroundings and they feel safe in those surroundings, When they are first taken to a new place, they may not feel as safe initially and may try to hide at first, especially if there are people they do not know living there, but they will soon get used to it and be equally at home in both places. Make sure you have a secure pet carrier because the cat may escape on the way from one place to another. Get it used to being inside the carrier before the first trip.